Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Iluminated Tree Critique
Lens: Tamron 17-50 2.8 Camera: K20d Photo Location: North Idaho ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F8 

First pic posted on the forum. I like this photo (as do some of my family members) I just wanted to see what fellow photographers thought about it. Please be honest I appreciate any constructive criticism, no hard feelings. Thanks for looking!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice and little to complain about. I'd be tempted to crop some of the dark space from the bottom so that the tree is not dead center in the image, which it is right now both horizontally and vertically. A weak argument could be made for cropping a bit on the right. I don't think the rule of thirds will apply to this image, but understanding that rule will give you a sense of why offsetting from center helps.
02-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also would crop off 1/2 way up to the tree. The black foreground is a bit too much competition for the rest of the image. Very nice!
02-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm going to go against the grain and say that to me, the symmetry is why the image works.
I love the nearly perfect balance of light/dark, warm/cool.

I understand the basic composition "rules" but I think that they don't apply here. The central viewpoint is what caught my eye and made me click on this thread rather than going "oh yes, another sunset silhouette.... next.."

I would be interested in seeing both sides cropped to make it a square format image.

02-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Im not sure I would change a thing, I am going to agree with @hks_Kansei. I think the symmetry makes this picture work. Very nicely done.
02-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #6

I like the shot just as it is. Great Job!
02-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions, I really appreciate your time. I am going to try cropping the bottom portion a little and see how it looks, although I think I'm kind of partial to the way it is. Thanks again!

02-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I'm going to go against the grain and say that to me, the symmetry is why the image works.
I love the nearly perfect balance of light/dark, warm/cool.

I understand the basic composition "rules" but I think that they don't apply here. The central viewpoint is what caught my eye and made me click on this thread rather than going "oh yes, another sunset silhouette.... next.."

I would be interested in seeing both sides cropped to make it a square format image.
I agree. Cropping won't hurt it but I am not sure it will help it either. It is beautiful the way it is.
02-11-2014, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Lots of good comments so far, pointing out symmetry and aspect ratio.
I think the aspect ratio/crop could be improved slightly. just to make the tree dead center, to remove some of the bottom negative space. Either go for square or maybe something wide 3:2, 16:9. You don't need so much empty space in the bottom of the photo, unless you go for 1:1 square aspect. The thing is, different aspect ratios could work for this same motif, but they transform its meaning. A square puts the focus heavily on the tree/subject. A rectangle puts the focus on the whole landscape, including sky and mountains. So if you change the aspect, you basically create a new photo. Whats important is that you choose one, and that you don't do something "in between." The aspect ratios that are already defined exist for a reason - they work best for presenting visual material.
I like the symmetry and the tree being dead centre, it balances the photo. The sun and tree silhouette are so powerful that I wouldn't put them on the side if I didn't have another subject or two on the other side.
Great colours and tones, I like the idea behind the composition. Its well-exposed with good focus. Only thing I might do is increase contrast and lower the "clarity" (so there isn't a halo around the branches). Its an amazing photo, would look good as a print, just think about the comments you got so far. If this is your first uploaded photo, you are on the right path. Hope to see some more from you
02-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Lots of good comments so far, pointing out symmetry and aspect ratio.
I think the aspect ratio/crop could be improved slightly. just to make the tree dead center, to remove some of the bottom negative space. Either go for square or maybe something wide 3:2, 16:9. You don't need so much empty space in the bottom of the photo, unless you go for 1:1 square aspect. The thing is, different aspect ratios could work for this same motif, but they transform its meaning. A square puts the focus heavily on the tree/subject. A rectangle puts the focus on the whole landscape, including sky and mountains. So if you change the aspect, you basically create a new photo. Whats important is that you choose one, and that you don't do something "in between." The aspect ratios that are already defined exist for a reason - they work best for presenting visual material.
I like the symmetry and the tree being dead centre, it balances the photo. The sun and tree silhouette are so powerful that I wouldn't put them on the side if I didn't have another subject or two on the other side.
Great colours and tones, I like the idea behind the composition. Its well-exposed with good focus. Only thing I might do is increase contrast and lower the "clarity" (so there isn't a halo around the branches). Its an amazing photo, would look good as a print, just think about the comments you got so far. If this is your first uploaded photo, you are on the right path. Hope to see some more from you
Na Horuk- thanks for the detailed suggestions, some very good insight/recommendations. I will definitely go back and try these adjustments. Also while it is my first pic posted i have been shooting for a few years, but lately I have been getting more serious, and the more I shoot the better the results (imagine that). I have learned a lot here so far, and will definitely be posting more pics in the future. Sorry for the ramble. Anyway thanks again!
02-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I'm going to go against the grain and say that to me, the symmetry is why the image works. I love the nearly perfect balance of light/dark, warm/cool. I understand the basic composition "rules" but I think that they don't apply here. The central viewpoint is what caught my eye and made me click on this thread rather than going "oh yes, another sunset silhouette.... next.." I would be interested in seeing both sides cropped to make it a square format image.
You are kind of contradicting yourself by saying the symmetry works, but still pushing for a crop - only in this case towards a 1:1 image. Nothing wrong with that option either. I think many of us are getting a sense that this is a really good image, but needs a little something (or a little less of something) to be a great image.

@jrm1 - I hope you find the time to try cropping this image, and if you find versions you like more than the original I hope you'll add them to this thread.
02-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
You are kind of contradicting yourself by saying the symmetry works, but still pushing for a crop - only in this case towards a 1:1 image. Nothing wrong with that option either. I think many of us are getting a sense that this is a really good image, but needs a little something (or a little less of something) to be a great image.

@jrm1 - I hope you find the time to try cropping this image, and if you find versions you like more than the original I hope you'll add them to this thread.
How's this? I'm far from the greatest when it comes to the post processing side of things. To my untrained eye it brings out some of the imperfections?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jrm1 Quote
How's this? I'm far from the greatest when it comes to the post processing side of things. To my untrained eye it brings out some of the imperfections?
Well was this supposed to be cropping mainly from the bottom, or trying to get close to a 1:1 aspect ratio? It looks like you may have tried to keep the original aspect ratio and in doing so cropped a lot from the sides too. Based on all the suggestions here, that is the one thing we aren't suggesting you try
02-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote

I don't really see how I'm being contradictory?

The image is lovely as it is, and holds a very nice symmetry which I think works.

However, I think that a square format (cropping a small section from the left and right sides, leaving the top and bottom untouched) would enhance that as the image would then hold a near perfect symmetry between top/bottom and left/right, both in elements of the image, and even the shape of the image (sides and base holding the same dimensions)
02-12-2014, 05:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Never take family members' appraisal too seriously, same as being ask: Does my bum look big in this ?

As to your picture, Na Haruk's comments are sound. Allow me to add my thoughts.

Firstly, in photography rules are just rules and there is no reason not to cast them aside from time to time. So I agree here the placement of the tree should stay the way it is with perhaps just a minor alteration. I am saying this because the original aspect ratio looks a bit objectionable to ones inbuilt human sense of balance. (Mine at least) Yes there is such a thing. And from a picture framing point of view this format would not make a pleasing display. The darkness at the bottom and on either side of the image makes it even worse.

In real life the low level light of the setting sun would have had enough lumen to lighten up the vegetation in the foreground, albeit in a minor way. To stand there at the time when the photo was taken your eyes with its ability to process high dynamic range would have made you see a different and very exiting to look at picture. Now you take the picture and the camera can't handle it. You come home and view the photo on your monitor and where previously your eyes saw the foreground grass now there is nothing but black.

Bring back a little bit of light in PP (modern software can do this now) and your pic starts yo take on a completely different character. And where previously you where tempted to crop away some of this overpowering blackness you find it becomes less objectionable.

Nevertheless to crop a little off the bottom will, (and a little off the top) in my opinion enhances the picture if nothing else to improve the above mentioned format balance.

I submit two alternatives for consideration and let you guys decide which is more pleasing (if at all), I can't make up my mind.

Greetings

P.S.
Not sure how much you have "massaged" the image in PP and if you have make sure not to "over stimulate" the top of the tree as it shows some white halos. something to avoid.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-01-2014 at 04:22 PM.