Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Jungle Light
Lens: DA 18-135 WR Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Northern Thailand ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F16 

I just returned from a trip to Thailand. I snapped this as we were in the process of leaving a lodge in the jungles north of Chiang Mai. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time to move around or recompose the shot. I've never really dealt with these kinds of light beams and am still learning how to best PP the image. I'd love to get other's take on how to best take and PP a shot like this in the future.

I can share the raw file, but I'm not sure how to upload it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting sun rays here. I'd try adjusting the contrast on the raw file to try to bring out some of the colour in the dark.
02-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect tweaking the contrast will just make the vegetation darker and the light beam lighter which I suspect isn't the effect you want. I'd rather try to individually tweak the highlights and shadow regions - mostly the shadow regions to bring out the vegetation as @ausmoose notes
02-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great suggestions made on improving what you've got here.
Technically, in general, when metering a scene with a DSLR, you want to make sure your highlights are properly exposed and let your shadows fall where they may. In this case, you may have either underexposed the image or toned it down in post. The clouds look a bit dark, but just a little, so it can be easily adjusted in post - especially if you shoot RAW. If you want detail in both shadow and highlights in a heavily back lit scene like this, then HDR or photo blending are good options.

Artistically though, my initial question is this: Without the background and the God beams, would you have photographed just the foreground by itself. My guess is that you wouldn't since the foreground (silhouette shapes of plants) isn't photogenic. My feeling is that this sunset with its amazing clouds and God rays are a stage and your foreground should/could be the main actor on that stage. You've got great light here, you may want to find something of equal beauty in the foreground, and add a foreground element too, all of which complement each other.