Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Question 1 - How do you get any work done?
Question 2 - What is she doing working in a bar? She should be modeling and giving Kate Upton a run for her money.

OK critiques - I'm no pro but in 3,7,8 the eyes need to be sharper, either the post processing was overdone or not in focus when shot.
If it is post process try to do selective smoothing rather than on entire image.
The eyes? That's what you are looking at? really?

02-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Advice?

Hello Iguckert,
You've gotten some good feedback already, I'l add a few suggestions.
On #1 and 2, the chairs and background are too busy and distracting. Your model looks slightly uncomfortable.
# 3, the much-maligned shot, yes the focus is slightly off (or, processed) but check the background! If she moves to our right (her left) that bright disc could be a terrific back/rim light. Here I'd squat and stretch myself to find the best lighting effect. Close head shots and half-length with careful focus, move her, move yourself. Also I'd use the 35mm in vertical.
And I'd have a hotshoe flash and disc reflector handy, too.
The behind-the bar photos could work, too, but you need to pull her away from the backbar, the pattern of the bottles is way too busy. I see you have a couple of M/F 50mm's...the smc M f/1.7 at f/2.0-2.4 might be a better choice here, at least for head-and-torso shots.
The bar lighting is pretty good in some spots, there's a catch-light in several photos. But you can always add to, or change it, with a reflector.
Or a bounce flash, nothing fancy, just manual with bounce and tilt and a softbox diffuser.
Your model is a great-looking woman and you have some good ideas. I'd re-try the shoot if you can, but prepare better. Bring at least one 50mm and if you want to try something different, a couple of tight portraits with the Sears 135mm. Is that the macro version? If so, it has that erie 'glow' at close focus, it's fun to see when it works. The kit zoom is handy, but not really suited for this work. You need great bokeh, fast glass. A 35mm and 50mm are fine.here. Stay away from brightly-detailed backgrounds and get some soft, glowing, smooth or blurry looks behind her. Focus tight on the eyes.
Google 'The Strobist'.
Last, a personal choice, try converting one of these to B+W. Just take a look.
Good luck!
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 02-20-2014 at 08:17 PM.
02-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its a testament to Pentaxs' autofocus that you managed to get these shots indoors through a foggy viewfinder. And yeah, damn those chairs, always trying to steal the limelight, what is that? Mahogany?.

Nice work though, i thought i was looking at another brand for a second with the aggresive filter look, but overall i think she would be very pleased with quality of the shots. 1 to 3 look a little front focused to my eye though, the last one, maybe apply some clean-up to the small but noticeable particles on her black shirt?
02-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After reading through a lot of the critiques, I went back and carefully studied the photos again and realized that, yes, she does in fact have eyes. For some reasons they were not all that apparent to me the first time I looked at the photos.

02-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #20
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
So I helped one of the girls out at work and did some photos for her and I wanted to know how I did and if you think I went to far with the portrait plus please be brutal thank you.
i would not have used a 35mm focal length lens on a crop sensor camera, to shoot these sort of pics with... imho, it's 50mm prime territory, at the minimum.

i see a 28mm focal length used as well, probably to get behind the bar to make that full body shot... i really like the pic and the pose, i wonder if there is a better alternative than 28mm lens for that shot.

the biggest problem is that the images are way overprocessed, which pretty much ruined every shot... imho, it's a much bigger problem than the poses.

thx for the post.
02-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would crop the bottom of #5 picture to hide an extra coming out from her bra
02-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
As a female myself I thought it best to provide a male opinion so I asked my husband who has no interest in photography but has a keen eye.

He said all the pictures were "under-exposed". I think he desires to have more exposed!
Definitely is underexposed

I think that camera is a male. It focused on the bra, not on the eyes.
02-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Holy poop, next time she wants some pics can I come along? Tell her I'm the guy who changes the film in your cameras.

02-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tilted or Titled, whats in a name?
02-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Thank you for helping her out. That's all I have to say.

Regards
02-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #26
Forum Member

I agree with everyone who said great work! The composition is great, the colors are good. Altogether beautiful images. I would have like to see more sharpness around the eyes, the first bikini shot had INCREDIBLE sharpness around the breast area, but the eyes were pretty blurry. Perhaps use a single focus point, focus on the eyes, then recompose?

Personally, I like the exposure, I bet they would print amazing. If they are going to be used exclusively online though I would have added some clarity and pulled the shadows down a bit.
02-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
He said all the pictures were "under-exposed". I think he desires to have more exposed!
Well there's always the Nude bar somewhere........
02-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know where I"m dining on my next to the Pittsburg area.......
02-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know where I"m dining on my next to the Pittsburg area.......

We have great food and the senery is great so check it out next time your in town.

---------- Post added 02-24-14 at 10:51 AM ----------

Hey thank you all that gave feedback you all helped me think what I could have done better and different.
thank you larry G
02-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #30

Something that really helped me get better focus in the eyes was selecting a single focus point each time I shoot. With shallow DOF portraits it really makes a difference in the number of keepers. I used to focus and recompose but I would never go back now.