Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2014, 03:03 AM - 7 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Mustang P51D « Moonbeam McSwine »
Lens: DA* 200mm f/2.8 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Nice (France) ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F13.5 

This is my first picture posted here. I took it last summer in Nice (France) when this plane flew over the city for the 69th anniversary of the liberation of the city by Allied forces. The picture was slightly reframed and post-processed with LR.
I'm curious to know what you think of it !
Cheers,

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice! Is that a panning shot from a stationary point, or were you in a plane as well?
02-21-2014, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cadillac Of The Skies!

Hello Andre, Welcome to the Forum!
Fine in-flight shot of one of the most beautiful and deadly aircraft ever made! The B+W conversion looks perfect, like it was taken in the 1940's.
A very young Christian Bale calls the Mustang 'Cadillac of the skies' several times in 'Empire Of The Sun', whenever the P51's go roaring by.
Glad to have you join us on PF, hope to see more photos,
Ron
02-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Very nice! Is that a panning shot from a stationary point, or were you in a plane as well?
Savoche,
Thanks for taking time to comment. The shot was taken from a stationary point, actually a balcony. I rotated the camera in order to follow the plane, resulting in quite a lot of missed shots and a few fine ones, with the blurred sea in the background giving the feeling of speed.
Andre

02-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andre Tersen Quote
Savoche,
Thanks for taking time to comment. The shot was taken from a stationary point, actually a balcony. I rotated the camera in order to follow the plane, resulting in quite a lot of missed shots and a few fine ones, with the blurred sea in the background giving the feeling of speed.
Andre
Aha, yes, it was the vantage point that made me ask about you being in a plane But panning is never easy. I suppose having a relatively heavy lens like the DA*200 gives you some momentum to keep an even speed, but still I wouldn't expect a very high keeper ratio.

This one is very good, though. And the P-51 is one of my favourite war birds
02-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent shot, and welcome to the nuthouse...

Jim
02-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Andre, Welcome to the Forum!
Fine in-flight shot of one of the most beautiful and deadly aircraft ever made! The B+W conversion looks perfect, like it was taken in the 1940's.
A very young Christian Bale calls the Mustang 'Cadillac of the skies' several times in 'Empire Of The Sun', whenever the P51's go roaring by.
Glad to have you join us on PF, hope to see more photos,
Ron
Thank you, rbefly, for your interesting comment. You make me want to watch Spielberg's movie again, I think I saw it in the late 80's.
Yes, my intent was to make a BW conversion with a 40's feeling, so I slightly muted the clear and dark tones in PP.

02-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great photo - does look like it was taken many years ago. Maybe I'd chop off some of the sky - it doesn't really seem to serve a purpose - or maybe that's just me..
02-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey, welcome to the forums! Great photo, really shows off the speed. I wonder how much you processed it, but its really well done
And what a name!

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-21-2014 at 05:48 PM.
02-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Fantastic. I also thought you took this from another plane.
02-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #11

Beautifully done! I love the B&W, but I am curious what the color version looks like.
02-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey, welcome to the forums! Great photo, really shows off the speed. I wonder how much you processed it, but its really well done
And what a name!
Hello Na Horuk,
Thanks for your comment ! I processed it in LR. I reframed it slightly (removing some empty space behind the plane), turned it B&W, increased exposure, increased sharpness and muted the color (mustard like). I added a little vignetting also. I hope it's not too much ;-)

---------- Post added 02-22-14 at 08:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monoloco Quote
Beautifully done! I love the B&W, but I am curious what the color version looks like.
Thanks !
For those who would like to see the original/color version, I insert the original picture, without any processing, directly turned from RAW into JPG with LR.

---------- Post added 02-22-14 at 08:21 AM ----------

03-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Very sweet.

Your processing in LR works very well from the original.
03-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tootall Quote
Very sweet.

Your processing in LR works very well from the original.
Thank you, tootall.
I just had a look at your PPG, very nice !
To be honest, I'm a bit jealous... A couple of weeks ago, I submitted 3 pics but they are still at the "voting pending" stage. Did it take you long before having your pictures selected ?
03-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andre Tersen Quote
Thank you, tootall.
I just had a look at your PPG, very nice !
To be honest, I'm a bit jealous... A couple of weeks ago, I submitted 3 pics but they are still at the "voting pending" stage. Did it take you long before having your pictures selected ?

Thanks, it can take awhile, I've got one that's been waiting for about three weeks now (interestingly my version of a P-51). But it can take about a month. But while you wait and check, it's a good time to vote on other photos.