Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Piscator Quote
Gregory,

Great job showing the potential for post processing. I noticed you have many such before-and-after pairings on your Flickr site. So...obsession? profession?

v/r,

Rick
Hi
Certainly not my profession. Might be somewhat of an obsession. I look at it as practice, it helps me with my skills figuring out the quickest and best way to fix something I see as problematic but mainly I hope it helps the original poster to show what I'm talking about. Just telling someone what might be done might not be of much help especially if they're new to photography or processing and it often will leave the original poster trying to interpret your comments. An old saying but true, "A picture is worth a thousand words"
Cheers

02-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
Hi
An old saying but true, "A picture is worth a thousand words"
Cheers
For an engineer square it. For a photographer, quadruple it

02-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Here are a couple of quick and dirty modifications. You may not like either of them. Both have lowered highlights, the second one has less saturation. They are "dirty" tweaks because everything I did was applied across the entire image, whereas you probably want to selectively lower some of the highlights on the brides face. Note there will be a bit of loss in overall quality because I saved as somewhat lower quality JPG to save a bit of space.
Awesome. Very useful. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
The metering still works in M mode, it controls the +/- scale in the viewfinder and nothing else. That scale shows you how your manually chosen exposure compares to the meter.
I just noticed the bar after u mentioned this. Can you explain to me how this scale works? I tried playing with different settings but it always shows about 2-3 bars on the negative side. Do I need that scale to be on 0?

Thanks for helping me find the flash compensation menu. So, if I had to redo this shot, what settings would you have chosen in terms of exposure compensation and flash compensation? Should I change these settings for every shoot I do?

Again, sorry for the noob question
02-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by royw Quote
I just noticed the bar after u mentioned this. Can you explain to me how this scale works? I tried playing with different settings but it always shows about 2-3 bars on the negative side. Do I need that scale to be on 0? Thanks for helping me find the flash compensation menu. So, if I had to redo this shot, what settings would you have chosen in terms of exposure compensation and flash compensation? Should I change these settings for every shoot I do?
Hopefully smarter folks that I will answer but here are my thoughts. If the bar is on 0 you are "properly" exposed based on the cameras calculations for 18% grey. But you may want to be off 0 under certain circumstances. For a wedding - if you were shooting just guys in black tuxedos, you'd want to underexpose so that they turn out black, rather than grey, and it would be good to spot meter off of the tux. Shooting the bride you want to overexpose to keep the dress white. Flash complicates things because now you are talking about a localized light source that will drop off in intensity with distance rather quickly and may also cause odd reflection in indoor settings. That said, my K5 tends to overexpose most flash scenes so I set the FLASH +/- to the - side for most of my shots. Note also, that in post processing I find you can do a lot more to recover dimly lit objects than you can to recover blown highlights.

Why be sorry? These are good questions.