Lens: Pentax 50-200mm Camera: K5 

My first post. Be nice

Had an external flash (af-360fgz) when taking the shot

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-22-2014, 02:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Well, I like it. I'm not a wedding photographer or an artist, so YMMV.
02-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You captured a very nice moment.... Her skin tones seem to be a little washed out by highlights, but, it's a candid so you take what you get.
02-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a nice shot - great candid - she looks very happy - and great bokeh too.

02-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

Very nice capture. Agree with normhead on the highlights, but wouldn't have noticed if he hadn't pointed it out. Might be correctable in PP?
02-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, it was a great candid shot. Def my fav shot of the day.

Are the highlights due to the fact that I used flash? I had my flash pointed at 45 degrees with the built-in flash card out
02-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The highlights are from the flash, at least to some extent, but you should be able to tame them a bit with PP. Which would be a worthwhile thing to try, since it is a lovely pose that succinctly captures the feelings of the day.

02-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Good timing on a candid shot and nice framing. The highlights are blown out though. The veil has lost most of the detail on the right side and her skin has lost details in the highlight areas. The flash isn't the cause it's the exposure. If you hadn't mentioned you used flash I wouldn't have thought it had been used. Reworking the pp will likely recover things. If you add a histogram layer to the above image you will see the values stacked up on the right side, when they peak like this it means you're loosing details in the highlights. If you shot it in RAW you will be able to get them back, if a jpeg no. The contrast is rather high too and the skin tones have picked up some green. If you reworked the pp to recover the highlights, reduced the contrast and tweaked the color I think it would be a much stronger image. Hope you don't consider this harsh just my thoughts on it. I did a quick edit to show what I mean. Certainly not perfect by any means just to give you the idea of what I mentioned above.
Posted it here.
alternate edit on right of photo by royw | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Regards
Greg
02-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
Hi
Good timing on a candid shot and nice framing. The highlights are blown out though. The veil has lost most of the detail on the right side and her skin has lost details in the highlight areas. The flash isn't the cause it's the exposure. If you hadn't mentioned you used flash I wouldn't have thought it had been used. Reworking the pp will likely recover things. If you add a histogram layer to the above image you will see the values stacked up on the right side, when they peak like this it means you're loosing details in the highlights. If you shot it in RAW you will be able to get them back, if a jpeg no. The contrast is rather high too and the skin tones have picked up some green. If you reworked the pp to recover the highlights, reduced the contrast and tweaked the color I think it would be a much stronger image. Hope you don't consider this harsh just my thoughts on it. I did a quick edit to show what I mean. Certainly not perfect by any means just to give you the idea of what I mentioned above.
Posted it here.
Regards
Greg

Even if Roy doesn't appreciate this, I do. It helps me learn. Thank you!

02-24-2014, 02:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by royw Quote
Are the highlights due to the fact that I used flash?
I see that you're going with +0.3 EC. The EC affects the P-TTL flash exposure too, so that's part of the problem. Did you have flash exposure comp. set?

Also, I don't think the tones in the scene warrants positive compensation. The dark suit, his dark hair and the dark background all conspire to pull up the exposure. You also used center weighted metering. Is this a crop where the whole frame was dominated by dark background?

I notice you're in manual exposure and I can't tell where your light meter fell, but I suspect that you've misjudged the scene that that's why you ended up with the blown dress, veil and forehead.

Great moment you captured though.

Regards,
--Anders.
02-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #11

Original Poster
@MSL - Thanks for the feedback. This might be a newbie question, but what's PP? I'm guessing Photoshop...?

@Gregory_51 - Awesome feedback. Exactly what I needed. Unfortunately, I only shoot jpeg. I recently started using PS, so I never shot RAW since I never post-processed any of my pictures. How would I go about adjusting the RAW file to get back the details...? Less contrast and make the picture darker?

@asp1880 - Yes, I tend to slightly overexpose my shots, thus the +0.3 EC. Does it really significantly affect the external flash? How do I set the flash exposure comp...?

As for the picture, this is how it came up. No crop, no nothing. I have one question though. I though if I'm in manual mode, the metering doesn't work since the exposure is already set?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I've been shooting for a couple years now, but never really looked at these types of details or camera settings. I was basically a casual shooter haha

thanks for the help guys!
02-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the feedback. This might be a newbie question, but what's PP? I'm guessing Photoshop...?
Sorry - I rarely use acronyms knowing that there are always newcomers on the site. PP - post processing.
Just to answer your other questions - when I shoot flash I normally under expose, often by 1 stop or more. The thing about flash is that nearby objects will get lit up a lot more than average, and so metering can get fooled. On this picture, whether processing RAW or JPG (you can both, you just start at a disadvantage with JPG), I would bring down the highlights just a bit. I do most of my quick and dirty processing in Faststone, but will fire up GIMP (a free version of photoshop) if need be.
02-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are a couple of quick and dirty modifications. You may not like either of them. Both have lowered highlights, the second one has less saturation. They are "dirty" tweaks because everything I did was applied across the entire image, whereas you probably want to selectively lower some of the highlights on the brides face. Note there will be a bit of loss in overall quality because I saved as somewhat lower quality JPG to save a bit of space.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
I did a quick edit to show what I mean. Certainly not perfect by any means just to give you the idea of what I mentioned above.
Posted it here.
Regards
Greg

Gregory,

Great job showing the potential for post processing. I noticed you have many such before-and-after pairings on your Flickr site. So...obsession? profession?

v/r,

Rick
02-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

@asp1880 - Yes, I tend to slightly overexpose my shots, thus the +0.3 EC. Does it really significantly affect the external flash? How do I set the flash exposure comp...?

As for the picture, this is how it came up. No crop, no nothing. I have one question though. I though if I'm in manual mode, the metering doesn't work since the exposure is already set?
The metering still works in M mode, it controls the +/- scale in the viewfinder and nothing else. That scale shows you how your manually chosen exposure compares to the meter.

You set the flash exposure compensation on the flash screen. Press the flash button on the 4-btn pad to get to that screen, use the rear scroll wheel to adjust flash compensation.

Regular exposure compensation and flash exposure compensation both affect the flash exposure equally.

Regards,
--Anders.