Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Dreamy woods
Lens: DA 15 Camera: K5 Photo Location: WA, USA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/6s Aperture: F11 

I shot this and was going for the "dreamy" or "fantasy" look. Really, I have little experience with photography and would like to improve in almost every area.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-24-2014, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #2

excellent photo!!! this camera i dreaming .
02-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very nice shot. For future similar shots, you might want to try stepping a few feet either direction (left in this case) and letting the tree trunk block the sun from your image. I find the defined light source to be distracting from the 'dreamy' portions.

Maybe crop the top of the image and the little from the right? Also, maybe one of the lightroom/photoshop plugins with a soft focus effect could be good here. Still, it's a lovely scene!
02-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dagaetch Quote
very nice shot. For future similar shots, you might want to try stepping a few feet either direction (left in this case) and letting the tree trunk block the sun from your image. I find the defined light source to be distracting from the 'dreamy' portions.
Agreed. This is the sort of composition where small changes can make a huge difference. @dagaetch pointed out moving or angling one way or the other to better block the sun behind a tree. I'll also note that how high you hold the camera is something to play with. You could give the perspective of being a small child in the woods just by holding the camera at what would be there eye level.

02-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
Guys, these are great comments! Thanks!
02-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice pic - but if you really want the dreamy effect, I would blur the pic a bit...
02-24-2014, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
If you want it to have a glow or dreamy effect you can do it in PS or PSE. If you don't have any experience it would take a while. It's easier to use a plugin which will automate a lot of it. There are a lot of plugins that do different things but most will require yo u to by them. Here is a link to a free one. It has different effects that you can apply and adjust. They also have tutorials on how to use it. Free Effects for Photoshop – Perfect Effects 8 Free Edition – onOne Software
Cheers
Greg

02-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm not sure its very "dreamy" - but its definitely a great photo! Nice DoF, sharp, well-composed..
Personally, I associate "dreamy" with unreal, with fragmented, unclear images that appear odd, but have a deeper meaning to the dreamer. So for me, this is a really nice photo of a still , peaceful forest.
02-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice shot. The starburst is nice but it takes away from the dreamy effect, also holding the camera close to the ground making the trees seem abnormally large would help the effect too. Although it isnt the effect you are going for I think it is a very nice shot.
02-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks guys! More great input which I truly appreciate. I downloaded those effects @Gregory_51. Again, many thanks!
03-27-2014, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I recognize the woods. Nice shot!

I like the starburst you got on the sun. I would probably post process a neutral density filter to lower the exposure on the top of the photo slightly. The difference in light upper and lower washes out the top 1/3 of the photo for me. But, that's just my eye.
03-30-2014, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shot in general, but at least two things take away any dreamy qualities, in my opinion: The steep slope and the sunlit background both create a feeling of movement and a sense of there being a destination or direction, or maybe more than one. The other replies about enhancing dreaminess make sense too.

BTW, moss is one of my favorite subjects, second to spiders.
04-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EllenJ Quote
... moss is one of my favorite subjects, second to spiders.
Typical girl.