Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 12:29 AM   #1

Street Lamp in Rain at Night
Lens: 55-300 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Noida, India ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 3s Aperture: F8 

I have noticed that the 55-300 mm lens, my limited finances dictated choice for birding, is also my best lens for capturing unusual lighting conditions.

I didn't use any filter for the photo below. Post processing was limited to 30% boosting of shadow light and some sharpening.

Would love feedback on the photo, post processing and the choice of the lens.

02-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a really nice photo - love the starburst and the brownish lighting is very interesting - I also got that sort of colour when playing around with my Pentax-m 50mm f1.7 yesterday. I would probably chop a section of the bottom off to get rid of the black leaves in the foreground under your name as these are a little distracting for me. Other than that, I really like the photo, and can't comment on the lens because I haven't used it before!
02-27-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simple Lines

Hello Inexorable,
Your image is nicely framed and processed, there is a 'mood' or feel to the fog and diffused light. Good starburst, too!
A couple things you could try; Change the white balance to Tungsten, the brownish tint is probably from the street light.
Convert one of these to B+W, see how you like it.
Just some ideas! Keep up the good work,
Ron
02-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
That's a really nice photo - love the starburst and the brownish lighting is very interesting - I also got that sort of colour when playing around with my Pentax-m 50mm f1.7 yesterday. I would probably chop a section of the bottom off to get rid of the black leaves in the foreground under your name as these are a little distracting for me. Other than that, I really like the photo, and can't comment on the lens because I haven't used it before!
ausmoose,

Thank you for your encouraging comment. I tried eliminating the foreground leaves, but I am not too sure that it improves the picture. It appears to bring too much focus on the starburst at the cost of the mood. The yellow light comes from the sodium vapor lamp. That's the way I saw it. As a learner, I still don't have the confidence (artistic ability?) to venture beyond trying to recreate what I saw. :-)

@rbefly below is a camera processed tungsten white balance version, sans any rule of third cropping, or any other post processing.

Now I have a question, two in fact, if I may :-)

1. I prefer the auto AWB version because it is closer to what I saw, but I will grudgingly accept the tungsten version is a little better. How would a more experienced photographer handle this?
2. Is my rule of thirds cropping justified?

Last edited by Inexorable; 02-27-2014 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Proof editing
02-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Inexorable Quote
1. I prefer the auto AWB version because it is closer to what I saw, but I will grudgingly accept the tungsten version is a little better. How would a more experienced photographer handle this?
2. Is my rule of thirds cropping justified?
1) If that's the one you like, keep it. I just wanted you to see the difference, same thing as suggesting the B+W. Choices; I would (now) take the 2nd one, but I wasn't there.
Color hues, moods and expression through color is a whole field I'm just learning. Hopefully, you'll get some better-informed feedback!
2) I would say so, yes. You made the composition better and improved the balance.
Hope this helps,
Ron
02-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Inexorable Quote
ausmoose,

Thank you for your encouraging comment. I tried eliminating the foreground leaves, but I am not too sure that it improves the picture. It appears to bring too much focus on the starburst at the cost of the mood. The yellow light comes from the sodium vapor lamp. That's the way I saw it. As a learner, I still don't have the confidence (artistic ability?) to venture beyond trying to recreate what I saw. :-)
Hmm.. yes I suppose. The leaves are distracting but it would be worse with the cropping. Oh well it's still a great photo!
02-28-2014, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
1) If that's the one you like, keep it. I just wanted you to see the difference, same thing as suggesting the B+W. Choices; I would (now) take the 2nd one, but I wasn't there.
Color hues, moods and expression through color is a whole field I'm just learning. Hopefully, you'll get some better-informed feedback!
2) I would say so, yes. You made the composition better and improved the balance.
Hope this helps,
Ron
Thanks Ron. Appreciate the guidance!