Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Japan garden.
Lens: Rikenon 3.5 80 mm Camera: Ricoh Diacord ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F4.5 

Thank you for critique.
Cheers.

jgardn37cf | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

03-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it but the whole image is leaning to the right, I would straighten it up a little. That is the only thing I see that I could correct.
03-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good job on the exposure. Snow scenes can difficult at times to get the metering right.
I suppose you intended for your main subject to be the Japanese garden decoration. If the decoration is to be the main subject then why does it occupy only about 5% of the frame? The background is so incredibly busy and distracting that it is not only difficult for the viewer to fully understand where to look but the decoration (especially at the top) is blending into the background.

The foreground appears to have some dark areas that are running horizontally to the right of the decoration. This area seems like it could possibly mimic the shape of the decoration. If so, then moving 90 degrees to your right and getting in closer would create a composition composed of two similar shapes (the garden decoration and the dark water/ice area below) Getting in close to fill the frame with just those elements and while using an f/stop to get just that area in focus is how I'd approach this scene.
03-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I like it but the whole image is leaning to the right, I would straighten it up a little. That is the only thing I see that I could correct.
Thank you j2photos. Originally I was under same impression, but when I check level against the roof of the building on the background, perhaps the post is leaning to the right.
Cheers.

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
Good job on the exposure. Snow scenes can difficult at times to get the metering right.
I suppose you intended for your main subject to be the Japanese garden decoration. If the decoration is to be the main subject then why does it occupy only about 5% of the frame? The background is so incredibly busy and distracting that it is not only difficult for the viewer to fully understand where to look but the decoration (especially at the top) is blending into the background.

The foreground appears to have some dark areas that are running horizontally to the right of the decoration. This area seems like it could possibly mimic the shape of the decoration. If so, then moving 90 degrees to your right and getting in closer would create a composition composed of two similar shapes (the garden decoration and the dark water/ice area below) Getting in close to fill the frame with just those elements and while using an f/stop to get just that area in focus is how I'd approach this scene.
Thank you FrankC for detailed feedback. I see your points for improvement. I used K-30 with 50 mm to measure exposure.
Cheers

03-02-2014, 04:15 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pavpen Quote
Thank you j2photos. Originally I was under same impression, but when I check level against the roof of the building on the background, perhaps the post is leaning to the right.
Cheers.
It's the lantern which is leaning - there's a tree in the top left which is quite vertical. As Frank said, the background is very busy. In particular, the line of the tree directly behind the lantern draws the eye up at an angle away from the subject. I'd try cropping to place the lantern on the left while leaving the pond on the right for context. With monochrome you have to be really careful about what is happening in the background. Also the snow makes it hard to go for a higher contrast result or the details of the snow will be lost.
03-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Beautiful tranquil scene
I would experiential with the framing though. Maybe a wider or panoramic crop might look better.
03-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert Hank Quote
Beautiful tranquil scene
I would experiential with the framing though. Maybe a wider or panoramic crop might look better.
Thank you Robert. The panoramic crop definitely works.
Cheers.