Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

First studio shot
Lens: 18-55, 50-200, zoom 02 

I used wide angle to achieve a bit distorted look at 3rd one. Never shoot with studio light, and never really worked with models, before. Maybe there is something wrong and i can improve, mostly in terms of PP. Thanks.

K20D

Pentax Q

K20D

03-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice first go at it.
The models look quite natural.
I'd not bother with the black and white borders, at least at those sizes, but #1 looks quite appealing, as if it were a capture from a movie.
#2's lighting makes the model blend in too much with the black background - it needed a kicker light or something, and the framing is a little disconcerting, but she has a very comfortable pose.
#3 has so much detail it needs smoothing of the face, or a less sharp lighting source to take the attention of her facial skin. Otherwise well done!
03-13-2014, 03:27 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The model has too too much makeup in each and the wrong color lipstick in the first one. The eyes are too made up in each. What and why is stuff to the right in the first photo? The second picture is a completely unnatural pose and I suspect most would find it uncomplimentary. That is a much older woman's view in any event. I also prefer to have the subject looking at me, not something unknown. Add something that she is looking at if you want that perspective. My studied preference is to keep portraits real, natural and simple. Good luck. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2014 at 07:35 AM ----------

Check out "Kilted Lass" above for the critique there.

Last edited by Sparkle; 04-09-2014 at 02:34 PM.
03-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #4
Forum Member

Hi
The first picture is a bit greenish, the second a bit dark, I love the 3 picture... maybe a little less brightness!

03-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Much Thanks for answers guys!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'd not bother with the black and white borders, at least at those sizes, but #1 looks quite appealing, as if it were a capture from a movie.
There is actually no borders on first one. This is natural... something in the frame. And yes, i wanted to make it looks like a movie frame.
Second one have borders because, well, i tried in camera filters on Pentax q. I agree what on big screen it looks kinda off.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
#3 has so much detail it needs smoothing of the face, or a less sharp lighting source to take the attention of her facial skin.
Thanks, i can't disagree, looks like i also added too much sharpening >_< Gonna try to learn something about skin PP beside simple healing brush, etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by Santos Quote
The first picture is a bit greenish, the second a bit dark, I love the 3 picture... maybe a little less brightness!
First one have off WB, and i also added green... just wanted to make it looks grunge, like strange movie. Also she looks a bit like alien there, i really like it.
Yeah, now i also thing there is too much contrast on 3rd
2nd one was shot with only in-camera flash, i wanted to make it looks like those old Weegee~like photos where you can see only model in flashlight

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
The model has too too much makeup in each and the wrong color lipstick in the first one.
Well, it was wrong WB and i added much of green, to make it looks even more off.

What and why is stuff to the right in the first photo?
She is sitting in front of the mirror. So this is back of her head.
If i got ur question right.

The second picture is a completely unnatural pose and I suspect most would find it uncomplimentary.
I don't really see why this is unnatural, but i can think what her hands take too much space and draw off attention from face?

Add something that see is looking at if you want that perspective. My studied preference is to keep portraits real, natural and simple.
I will try this next time, but in this shot i tried to make it looks "staged" as i understand this as much as possible,

Also, another one

03-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iabc_lazy Quote
Much Thanks for answers guys!

First one have off WB, and i also added green... just wanted to make it looks grunge, like strange movie. Also she looks a bit like alien there, i really like it.
Yeah, now i also thing there is too much contrast on 3rd
2nd one was shot with only in-camera flash, i wanted to make it looks like those old Weegee~like photos where you can see only model in flashlight
Sure, the first its great and I like that frame, and yes, she seems an alien :-))) but the green... In the second picture what I meant is she is very involved in black, I know that was your intention but really not enjoy but she was excellently photographed. I really like the last and I spoke in clarity but is not , maybe fill light or brightmess I'm not sure. Thankfully, tastes are not the same for everyone and this photos are excelente.
03-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Very nice photos, and some good comments already.
I would say that maybe some of the photos don't need so much split toning (like #2), but they all look pretty good. If i understand correctly, the intention was to add some tension instead of only beauty. So the angles are tilted, the colours are manipulated, the light is low and the lens used is wide. This is why I like these photos, not because they adhere to all the portraiture rules, but because they break a couple of them - without sacrificing quality or coming across as cliche. I think the #2 is the weakest one because its the least.. outstanding. #2 is not a bad photo, but it is similar to photos we have seen before. The expression is not uncommon, and the processing seems to be merely a filter, with maybe a bit too much dutch angle. But she is still a beautiful model and the Q did a great job in terms of image quality. However, the other two photos look like something out of an art movie, part of a series and make me wonder. Where is she? What is happening? What is she planning/thinking? The odd colours only emphasize the mystery

03-31-2014, 12:08 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I also suggest creating more separation between the model and the background.