Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #1

All Eyes On The Sun
Lens: Tamron 55-200 Camera: D90 Photo Location: Mumbai ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 

All Eyes On The Sun

Here's a shot I captured during sunrise a couple of weekends ago. I kind of got what I was going for, but I'm not liking the end effect as much as I thought it would. How would you have taken the shot differently to make it stand out more? Had glass at focal lengths from 10mm to 200mm, and a tripod. What would you have done?

03-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aatifsumar Quote
What would you have done?
I would have used a Pentax instead of a Nikon.
Seriously, that's a very nice shot. A wider FL might have been a bit more dramatic though.
03-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice photo and story in a photo. Besides the photographers silhouetted and the sunset, what else were you going for besides a maybe a wider angle? Which ever way, it is a very interesting shot and looks like a fun and interesting time and getting fantastic photos.
03-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would make a nice cover photo for a Camera Club

03-09-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
NKK
Inactive Account

I like it, its a great photo - would maybe have tried an lower angle to get the sun down between the guys standing?
But that's soooo easy to sit here in the couch saying that
03-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Perhaps a slight lighting on the backs of the photographers would enhance the scene.
Also framing the picture to avoid the Central Composition should improve the impact.
I have taken the liberty, please excuse me, to include a quick revision which may help you to"get the picture".
Attached Images

03-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Second take.
Attached Images

03-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys!
The problem with going wider is that the sun will appear even small if I do so.
@Sparkle Love your second take on it! Didn't realise the three on the left form this descending trio. Thanks for that!

03-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
Forum Member

I would have suggested using a longer lens and getting further away so that the sun would appear larger relative to the people.
03-10-2014, 03:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I have stopped shooting sunsets years ago, there are now trillions of them on every photosite, I call them cliché photos. Most of them are too dark, too red, too purple, too everything. I mean no disrespect, you have a fine shot and it was taken under difficult light conditions.

I find the image a little too dark and perhaps a bit too blood red. I would also crop the image such as to get rid of the left-right framing affect created by the two big persons on either side. By removing the right hand corner person you create a left to right diagonal diminishing sens of depth and you slightly off-centre the picture which, in my view, enhances the image.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-01-2014 at 04:22 PM.
03-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The shots of a gaggle of photographers all taking the same picture are often more interesting than what they are taking the photo of. I like the silhouetted forms here they are well separated for the most part but not a whole lot you can do to control that, it's either there or it isn't. I do find the sunset rather dark and would brighten it up a bit like Shraubstock has above. I can see the idea of bookends on either side but I think his crop is an improvement over the original. If it were mine I'd clone out a bit of the left side of right hand figure so when it was cropped down I could get a bit more of the crouching right hand figure in the frame.
Cheers
Greg
03-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would compose the shot to include just the middle three photographers. The ones on the side make for a slightly too busy scene. With just the three in the photo, it makes the picturesque background seem more rare.

Last edited by MadMathMind; 01-24-2016 at 05:39 PM.
03-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I would go further back from the people and use a longer lens. Makes the sun look much bigger while keeping the people the same size.

Something of this sort perhaps:

03-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aatifsumar Quote
Here's a shot I captured during sunrise a couple of weekends ago
What's wrong with all these people, up before sunrise and at a weekend too.
03-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for the variety of opinions and suggestions!
@kerrowdown after six days of working the grind, waking up while its dark to shoot the sunrise is almost therapeutic for me! Go home and crash till afternoon after.