Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Newbie Here
Lens: DA 18-55mm Camera: K30 Photo Location: Arnprior ON. Canada ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 

Hi, I've started taking pictures without using the "auto" setting. This is one of my first pictures I took on full manual. Thank god for the digital and easy delete, it would cost me a small fortune in film!! Other people love this photo, but I don't see it. Maybe I'm too critical on myself. Let me know and don't hold back.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

This shot may have been more effective if you would have taken it in the landscape orientation.
03-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think diagonal. I like the perspective stuff, but straight up the middle is more documentary unless there is a more dominant subject featured in the composition.
03-09-2014, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leading and disappearing lines (the rails) are a classic composition. You can play with the angles and points of view to recompose but it's also okay the way it is. Even better would be if the lines lead to something like a sunset, moon, or the rails turning and disappearing out of the frame. An oncoming speeding locomotive is good too!

03-09-2014, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #5

It's a good subject, and I like the framing. I would adjust the gamma to bring up mid tones, and maybe shoot for more depth of field to get nice texture in the closer ties.
03-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input, I didn't mention I was limited with this photo because the rest of the tracks are gone, and they had the bridge fenced off. I slipped the lens through a hole in the fence and tried to only get the tracks and not the fence on the other side of the bridge.
03-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I like it... The only thing I might try is cropping the sides a bit, equally, just enough to trim off the end of the rail on the right side. And just a wee bit off the top, so the end of the bridge isn't visible and it looks like the rails continue off forever.

See what you think about it that way Tones and depth look great to my eye...

Jim

03-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
My two cents. Re take the shot but this time get down lower to the ground, focus 2/3 rds of the way into the photo and use F11. With this you should get more depth of field and it sharper image. Like a said my 2 cents
03-13-2014, 02:58 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Try more like this attempt to guide by illustration.

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2014 at 07:04 AM ----------

Well, that did not work as intended. The idea is to have the track run from the left edge on an angle up to the top right edge where it disappears Thus one is led into the photo and drawn to the top upper right..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #10
Forum Member

Hi
I agree with some criticisms, it should have more depth, the railway lines end up at the top of the frame, yet this is a very good shot.