Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #1

It All Started With A Tree (Multiple Takes)
Lens: Sigma 10-20 Camera: D90 Photo Location: Coorg, India ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/4000s Aperture: F8 

It All Started With A Tree

Here is the original take on this sunrise scene. That's my family silhouetted on the tree.

Had a couple more takes of the scene too.

Mandalpatti Sunrise - 2

Mandalpatti Sunrise - 3

Mandalpatti Sunrise - 4

Would appreciate your feedback on composition, choice of exposure and post-processing. Thanks

03-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #2

I like the first one the best. I think it would have been an even better composition with just the one person in the middle sitting on the limb.
03-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Brought out shadow detail a bit, color balanced on blue (sky), backed off on contrast a tad...

Last edited by wildman; 03-10-2014 at 11:23 PM.
03-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the first one best, nice framing and tones and rich color. The sun is down far enough that it isn't overpowering the image like it is in the last two and you have a nice star flare. For you it's probably nice that your family is there together and it's a memory for you. For a casual observer the tree limbs are obscuring the outline of the left hand figure and degrading the compositions impact. The center figure has an interesting silhouette and might be better alone in the tree. Just having the right two figures might be a viable choice too, gives a different feel.
Regards
Greg

03-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I prefer the first as well. best composition and you have a great feeling of space by seeing into the distance in the down right corner. I like the skycolour of the third. Really nice picture.
I would have tried to get rid of the stick thingy near the sun. (just to see how it looks a bit cleaner, I personally like clean silhouette shots.) I would prefer the most left person to have a cleaner silhouette and not standing in front of the main trunks of the trees. But this is nitpicking. I really like the picture.
03-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another vote for the first one. I feel it's the most balanced in all respects.