Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

In The Shadows

Another morning shot.

In The Shadows

The trees on the side seemed to be distracting from the subject, which is the tree and its shadows so tried a square crop too. However not too happy with it.

In The Shadows Square

What do you think?

03-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The second isolates the tree and it's shadow, true that, but the first is more interesting to me because seeing it in context tells us more about it's life (a better story)
03-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #3

True, the second does "isolate" the tree, but like DeepThrob I'm going to have to say that picture 1 is more interesting. I'm just gonna snowball here...

I honestly don't think the trees on the right (or left for that matter) really distract much. The fact that you're on the shadowed side of the trees leaves two things that are apparent about this picture (to me) in relation to the center tree.

(A) Its mere presence in the picture as a whole:
The overall picture becomes the one and only subject if all we do is notice that the tree just exists. I think the entire picture, as a whole, is pretty good - especially in picture 1 where the darker blues are gorgeous (full disclosure: give me some contrasty, deep colors and I'll give it a thumbs up). A lot of people look for pictures with trees like this to represent solemnness or loneliness - these trees don't convey that (not to me anyway). Because of this, then it doesn't really even matter that there are other trees cavorting around.

(B) The backlit fractal effect of the branches AND the picture as a whole:
I suppose the trees on the sides (esp. on the right) take away from someone spending time reflecting on the branches. But then again, this is now another part of a multi-facted photo; one with these pretty branches AND THEN the overall picture with the pretty colors.
03-16-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
Forum Member

I agree that the first is more interesting, maybe a little dark on the side of the trees but still a very interesting shot.

03-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1 more vote for the first shot. Just has more drama to it to my eye.
03-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the first, second is beautiful but first has something more.
03-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #7

Both are interesting, but i think its a little too saturated to my taste, (most noticeably near the cloud and yellows on the tree.)
04-09-2014, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #8

I agree - first shot is better. I would rate it superb! What's great about it is that everything in the photo points to the tree in the center - from a wide perspective down to a single point - the tree. The second doesn't do that as effectively. It tries to make the tree the focal point by cropping - not nearly as effective. Colors are great in the first.