Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dark or not?
Camera: K5-II 

I would like to receive your feedback on this image, I have two monitors a TFT Asus VW266H and CRT Samsung SyncMaster 700IFT in TFT images looks to me with enough light but in CRT look dark, I do not know which one should I work.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by Santos; 03-18-2014 at 04:49 PM.
03-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, all things considered, without being there it is hard to say how accurate this is to the actual scene at the time or to what you see on the back of the camera.
But my "best guess" would be to go with the TFT.

I am guessing your TFT is probably the more accurate. I would also go with the fact that any CRT is probably getting a bit old and will be darker. Again makes sense that the TFT is likely to be more accurate :-)

I would say the image itself is probably displaying fine, although photographically: the grass is well exposed and the upper portion is a bit under-exposed to my taste. My assumption is that matches well with what you're seeing on the TFT where as everything is a bit too dark on the CRT?
03-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
...the grass is well exposed and the upper portion is a bit under-exposed to my taste...any CRT is probably getting a bit old and will be darker. My assumption is that matches well with what you're seeing on the TFT where as everything is a bit too dark on the CRT?
Yes you're right, the images appear darker in CRT probably because the CRT is old and its losing quality. Can you tell me why the upper portion is a bit under-exposed and how can I solve this?
Thank you for your availability.
03-19-2014, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

How to solve it now after the fact or for next time?

In general...
The camera is going to try to pull the average brightness of the entire image to be a mid-tone gray. And Pentax does an aggressive job at doing so. The combination of the white shirt, the white cat and bright grass likely caused the camera to bring everything down a bit to reach that mid-tone average value.
A lot of people describe Pentax as underexposing by 1/2 to 2/3 stops compared to other brands of cameras. I like to think it is aggressive at protection from over-exposing. :-)

If you find that is true for your photos, you can use the Exposure Compensation [+/-] to make minor adjustments.

You can use "spot" metering to make sure the area in focus is the spot used to meter and that may help.
I usually use Center Weighted metering (the middle setting), as sometimes spot metering is just too strict.
I would probably suggest starting with the middle Center Weighted Metering setting if you don't already use it.

In the end, it is all subjective and should be considered for the scenes and types of subjects you shoot. Just experiment and see what works for you.
It is all a matter of taking lots of photos and lots os practice to see what works best for the types of photos you take.

If you have the opportunity, take multiple shots either with using exposure bracketing or just adjust the exposure or exposure compensation and re-shoot.
You'l soon get a feel for how the camera operates.

For this image after-the-fact ....
If you have something like Lightroom you can easily use the Shadows slider to brighten those areas of the image.
You can also use the graduated filter to brighten the upper section.

Using photoshop, Elements, GIMP or other software is slightly more involved... this easiest (but not necessarily the best) is to use an "Levels" adjustment layer to brighten the entire image. Then use a gradient fill or soft brush (in black) on the Mask to block out the effect over the grass and any other areas you do not want to affect.

lemme know if that doesn't help

03-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course it's what you want to say--now it looks like "dirty white." If you are not wanting to say that, then (for me) I would lighten the whites--push exposure up maybe 1/2 stop, and increase contrast so darks are no lighter--and possibly little darker. But what I see on my screen also will differ from yours! I think the real test is printing the image and which screen gets you the closest to a good print, with fewest iterations.

---------- Post added 03-19-14 at 11:24 AM ----------

But looking at the image again it would appear the whites are already featureless in some areas--if that's the case I suggest increasing contrast and actually reducing exposure--to keep from blowing out the brightest areas--and make it look whiter in relationship to the darker stuff. I know that does not tell you which screen to use--have no idea how to answer that except by my comment about closest to a good print.

---------- Post added 03-19-14 at 11:27 AM ----------

BTW I think its a great picture, and would not be displeased with the colors/brightness as is.