Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 11:26 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Self Portrait
Lens: Sigma 17-50 2.8 Camera: K-5IIS 

First try at a portrait and working with light. Light behind is just the ceiling light in the room behind the door. Light on my face is a flashlight. It was challenging to get my settings correct or at least what I thought was correct. Certainly open thoughts on how to light this better and posing the "model."

I haven't ordered flashes yet, Im thinking I may wait for the Cactus v6 to come out with the RF40 (I think) otherwise I will be ordering the Godox tt850 with the wireless adapters.

To me the, I need more light on the whole subject just not on the face. I tried to diffuse the light with a white trash bag but it ended up lighting the whole scene instead of just the subject. Also, I never realized flashes were so different than a constant light... So much to learn!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's interesting. Why did you want your forehead/face to be so overexposed/blocked? If intentional, you achieved it. If not, you might put a diffuser (cloth, tissue, something white and moderately transluscent) over the flashlight.
Thanks for sharing.
03-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I was trying... haha It wasn't intended at all. My intention was to create a more of a 3d effect bringing the entire subject out. When I diffused the flashlight it made the whole image brighter instead of just the subject. I have lots of work still to do.