Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Colourful delight
Lens: DA 55-200mm Camera: K50 Photo Location: Home ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F16 

I like the picture but something seems a bit off - any idea what it might be?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
03-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm certainly no expert, so this isn't necessarily meaningful, but...
I don't get a strong focal point - my eye wanders about the image. I think it's partially due to having the cluster/spray of dark berries in the background, and light, colorful berries and citrus segments in the foreground. Also, I think that the rather thick, clear coating on most of the fruit, although making it glossy, gives an unpleasant slimy appearance as well. Is it glycerin? Sugar syrup? Not sure it's worth the effect. But that's just my opinion.
Thanks for sharing.
03-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

DOF required.
03-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jford Quote
I'm certainly no expert, so this isn't necessarily meaningful, but...
I don't get a strong focal point - my eye wanders about the image. I think it's partially due to having the cluster/spray of dark berries in the background, and light, colorful berries and citrus segments in the foreground. Also, I think that the rather thick, clear coating on most of the fruit, although making it glossy, gives an unpleasant slimy appearance as well. Is it glycerin? Sugar syrup? Not sure it's worth the effect. But that's just my opinion.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks - I see what you are saying. There is no real focal point! I think for this king of picture the DOF should me shallower, making one or two pieces the focal point. Regarding the glossy covering - it is a standard part of the desert. It is a sugary syrup - makes it a whole lot more decadent. See the attached image

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
03-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
As someone who does a spot of patisserie, I think the sugar syrup is too think and not clear enough. Perhaps it is thickened with agar rather than gelatin and a touch too much? Or (worse) a jam-based glaze?

Re: the second photo, I would use a contrasting base (colour-wise) from the pastry... you want to set off its colour as well as the fruit. Technically (pastry-wise), I would like to see the tart shell a tiny touch darker so maybe set on a white rather than gold card?

More of a cooking question - what is the dark line between the tart shell and and the creme pat?
03-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

The fruit looks gooey. That's not technical I know but it doesn't pop because of that.
03-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjm1 Quote
As someone who does a spot of patisserie, I think the sugar syrup is too think and not clear enough. Perhaps it is thickened with agar rather than gelatin and a touch too much? Or (worse) a jam-based glaze?

Re: the second photo, I would use a contrasting base (colour-wise) from the pastry... you want to set off its colour as well as the fruit. Technically (pastry-wise), I would like to see the tart shell a tiny touch darker so maybe set on a white rather than gold card?

More of a cooking question - what is the dark line between the tart shell and and the creme pat?

Thanks, yes I will leave the cooking for the pros, not sure what the dark line was, I just bought it from the grocery store - tasted pretty good!!!