Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before and After
Lens: Tamron 17-50 Camera: K-x Photo Location: Glacier National Park ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F8 

I recently begun to re-process some of my photos with Lightroom and came across this photo I took on our Glacier Park visit along the trail to the Chalet back in 2011. The day was quite cloudy and gloomy and I tried to bring it ti life with some post processing. What do you guys think?

Before

After

03-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it looks a bit underexposed and too vibrant or saturated. Other than that itīs a beautiful scene, well cropped.
03-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am just on my phone but like the exposure and contrast you've done but agree that it looks a bit too vibrant from here...
03-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I must have overdone the vibrance a bit. Also the clarity makes it "pop".

Here it is with a bit of adjustment

03-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just noticed the white balance is off. a bit warm and too magenta. Look at the snow patch on the right (the one that got cropped). If you are using lightroom, try the WB selector from that zone to see how it goes. And I still see the sky is too dim. The cloud shadows look too dark
03-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, I see what you mean. I think it comes out too green with the white balance picker:

I adjusted the wb also the clouds.

03-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

looks much better to me

03-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The last image works the best IMHO.
03-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your input. My wife and I really enjoyed the park. The hike to the schalet was 15 miles round trip. I feel like going back sometimes.

---------- Post added 03-29-14 at 07:25 PM ----------

Here is an another before and after photos. I know that the clouds are blown out but I'm amazed of the K-x sensor being able to manipulate the RAW file to this extent.

Before

After

03-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The last version of the first photo is the best of the series although the middle distance look too cyan. The second photo I'd say has a number of faults. It's overexposed and the clouds and water are blown out. The horizon is crooked and needs to be straightened. I'd crop out the wall and the top half of the sky. I might suggest learning to do selective adjustments rather than adjusting the whole image. The second version is just darker and the trees have lost all detail. The first image is much more interesting and has more potential.
Cheers
03-30-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
Here is an another before and after photos. I know that the clouds are blown out but I'm amazed of the K-x sensor being able to manipulate the RAW file to this extent. Before
i think the dark colors of the second picture go well together, especially with the sun's rays coming through the clouds
03-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wasn't trying to make a perfect exposure out of the last photo, it's more like an interesting overexposure recovery. I will try selective adjustment, just as I did with the first set of photos. I brightened the cabin area a bit to bring out the details.
04-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Im sorry to sound negative but I think your post style is too heavy handed.

I think it would do more to look at your camera handling rather than your photoshop.

It feels as though you find a good scene and do your best to capture it but the image still has a few faults, but then you try to turn it into a good image in photoshop rather than trying to improve it in camera. I favour getting it right in camera so less photoshopping is needed.

In photoshop I feel you take contrast and saturation too far, and the images lack detail in overblown highlights due to overexposure in camera.

Don't worry weve all been there. Ive had my share of less than ideal images and I still do.

I suggest seeing if you can do more in camera so your images need less work in photoshop.

In the field, examine the light, if it seems wrong, would coming back later when the light is better help, or would using a graduated neutral density filter control the sky.

In camera expose for the highlights, use your histogram to see if the image is too bright, (has hit the right hand end) if it is use exposure compensation to reduce exposure and bring the histogram to the left and retake.

Don't be afraid to allow the shadow areas to expand, as you lighten in photoshop details will emerge from the shadows. Its overexposing that kills a digital image usually imo.

Photoshop

Be sensitive with the editing, Don't try to make every image "Pop". Use curves to control brightness and contrast rather than sliders,

If it looks like you've edited the image you've done it too much.
04-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Imageman, I appreciate your input.

Unfortunatelly, I did not have the chance to wait for better light for the first image. My wife and I were hiking 15 miles that day.

I agree regarding the highlights. The second image was more like a challenge to make the best out of an owerblown photo. It was also taken throught the window of our car while driving.

They were both edited in Lightroom. I'll try to learsnas we travel, especially to watch out for highlights.
04-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

I preferred your first edit the most.. it looks like how I'd cover it.. rich, tonal contrast..

Just looking at colors (not sharpness, pentaxforums always makes my uploads blurry) I'd go this route; I'd make it pop..

Last edited by mee; 02-26-2018 at 06:51 PM.