Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I preferred your first edit the most.. it looks like how I'd cover it.. rich, tonal contrast..
I guess it's a question of taste. I myself like a little clarity and vibrance on my landscape photos too. You made it look almost like a painting, it's nice.

One other thing to mention is monitor calibration. I know that I need a new monitor sometimes soon, my current one has pretty dull colors and low contrast.

04-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think white snow with the sun in the frame is unrealistic. Your eyes wil close down as muchas possible in an effort to adjust and protect themselves from the extreme brightness. So you could see the snow darker. It would be different if the sun was behind the camera...

(* I am using a hardware calibrated IPS monitor)
04-06-2014, 03:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hard to correct a JPG image but I would aim for something like this.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-01-2014 at 04:22 PM.
04-06-2014, 05:23 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
If it's any help at all, agsy, I have a suggestion or two:

When hiking, put your camera on TAv or similar so you don't have to choose the expoure yourself. I know from personal experience after a difficult climb or scramble, the last think I remember when taking a quick snap is to meter properly... The last time I was hiking with my camera I was so busy changing ISO (or something) half way up a cliff I was nearly hit by a falling boulder!

Alternatively (or perhaps as well as), set default exposure compensation to be -1.5EV or something... that way your chance of blown highlights is much lower. It's not perfect but it's usually easier to rescue an underexposed image in PP than an overexposed on.

That's just my tuppence-worth and what has (sort of) worked for me... but I'm a beginner so take my words with a pinch of salt!

04-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjm1 Quote
The last time I was hiking with my camera I was so busy changing ISO (or something) half way up a cliff I was nearly hit by a falling boulder!

Thanks. We will be visiting the Grand Canyon and the surrounding parks in May. I consider myself a beginner although I had my k-x for about 3 years and last November upgraded to the K5II.

Just lately I began to dial in -0.6 EV, maybe I'll try bracketing until I figure out what works for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by pjm1 Quote
That's just my tuppence-worth and what has (sort of) worked for me... but I'm a beginner so take my words with a pinch of salt!
I'm glad you are okay, that's crazy. 90% of the time I shoot in Av mode with ISO set between 80-800. I will try TAv see how it'll work out.

Thanks for all the advice you guys.
04-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Bracketing is a great idea - I used to do it a fair bit but a lot of my photography is faster-moving (children) which meant I ended up with the "right" shot being under/over-exposed frequently. With landscapes that shouldn't be an issue. If memory card size is no issue, you could bracket 5 shots at +1, 0, -1, -2, -3 just to make sure!