Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pay Phone Alter
Lens: SMC 50 1.4 Camera: MX Photo Location: Seattle, WA 

I love this object and caught the sun on it one day when I was taking my film camera out for a walk. Someone turned an orphaned pay phone box into an alter. I'm sure the city's plan was to remove the box, but I hope the decide to leave it there.

Would welcome critique on any aspect of this. I'm just getting back into film again.

03-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No criticism, only a comment. Without your narrative, I don't think I would have appreciated how unique this little shrine is. I wonder if a wider shot, showing more "context," if you will, would be effective?
Thanks for sharing.
03-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, that's exactly why I post things here! This is very near my house, so I'll try again with either a wider lens or a step back.

Appreciate the feedback.
04-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by jford Quote
No criticism, only a comment. Without your narrative, I don't think I would have appreciated how unique this little shrine is. I wonder if a wider shot, showing more "context," if you will, would be effective?
Thanks for sharing.
x2! Great shot though.

04-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Message received! I'm on it. Next correct sun, I'll walk back up there with a 24mm and a 35mm lens and get more in the shot.

Thanks for the advice.

Troy
04-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll chime in that I agree with the above comments, but its already a pretty cool photo. I like the items, the shadow/light, colour and tones. Well spotted and captured
04-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pay Phone Alter - Redux

Okay guys, I took another run at this last weekend. I didn't get the concentrated sun spot that I had the first time and I'm not happy with any of the angles/perspectives. These were all shot @ 24mm, still on film. I'd like to keep at this until i get it right, so I'm posting my results, though <blah>. I'm appreciative of your continued input and I'll back and try again, though I may have to switch to dSLR at some point. I love shooting film, but don't do it all that often and when I do, I like to start and finish a roll.

---------- Post added 04-15-14 at 08:48 PM ----------

And here are crops of #2 & 3

04-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
...I'm not happy with any of the angles/perspectives.
I think a vertical crop of #1 would do it.
04-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I find this scene very interesting and well-captured. I think #1 and the crop of #2 are the best of the second series. But I think the original photo is pretty great, too. With subjects like these you need to be up close. Context should be provided, but kept to a minimum - no need to show the whole street and sidewalk, only give enough information for the viewer to understand approximately what kind of environment the object is in.
Anyway, love it. Would be interested to see a series of such shrines, maybe even a thread devoted to it
04-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I'm having trouble both capturing perspective and showing enough close detail to illustrate what it is.

I may play with crops or go back and try again, maybe on digital, just because I can take a lot more exposures. I appreciate all of the input. This is a subject that I find really worth trying to capture as best I can.
04-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Or you can make it a series. The original photo, photo #1 of the second try, and then maybe one more closeup, almost like a 3/4 portrait of the doll with only some flowers visible. And bonus points for one photo of a person walking by and a photo of a person interacting with the shrine (portrait of keeper). And if you can find a way to tie the shrine in to a larger story (society, urban life, development, tradition) then you have a whole National Geographic-like reportage Would be great practice for a serious photo project and you could even try getting it published in local media or photography reportage contests