Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hot Pink! Pan and Motion Blur Candid
Lens: DA 50mm f/1.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Denver, Colorado USA ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F9.5 

Hello All,
Here's my latest candid motion-blur attempt, with a mild pan-effect too. I had been fiddling with the f/stop to juggle the shutter around 1/100 or slightly less (yes, I've heard of Shutter Priority aka Tv, but I'm an Av guy, oh, well) when this young lady appeared briefly on my horizon. One clear shot and this is it, everything else in a five-shot burst is cluttered or too-blurry. The EXIF reads f/9.0 @ 1/60s, sounds about right. I wouldn't mind seeing 1/90s just to compare, but this is all I've got. Too much motion? I think the torso and face are respectably sharp but no better.
C + C welcome!
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-07-2014, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm. Motion blur, the subject/woman is right at the edge of the frame, facing away. She is not that special (normal clothes, hair, etc.) and there is a man in the background that is also facing away. Good framing is more important than "capturing" the moment, but this is practice, so I guess the content is not that important.
With panning, make sure SR is turned OFF and feel free to go lower than 1/60. I would say as low as 1/30, 1/20. The trick is to follow the subject, press the shutter, and keep following the subject! Lots of people make the mistake that they stop following when they press the shutter, but you should keep following/panning even for a bit after the shutter closes. You can try burst mode, too. And follow "in front" of the subject. You want the subject to be looking at the centre of the frame. Also, using AF in this situation is often not going to work very well. For panning, its really great if you have the lens in MF and pre-focused. Zone focusing can help with this, as can preparation. Its great if you "set up an ambush". You can try this at a zoo or something - animals have predictable paths, so you position yourself, focus on the path, then take your photo. Or taking photos of cars on the street, but those are a little faster and someone might get scared if they see you taking photos of traffic (we live in a crazy world)
04-08-2014, 03:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
A Work In Progress?

Hello Na Horuk,
Thanks for the feedback, yes I did use a burst and this is the only one that had decent motion blur without being too fuzzy.
I do use pan/blur on cars, you're right, the speed is usually more steady and the path is predictable, plus a much-larger A/F target.
Part of the problem is my stubborn use of Av, shutter-priority would be much simpler. But I change lenses more than modes, old habits!
Ron