Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Trains
Lens: 50mm 1.8 pentax Camera: k5 

I haven't posted in a while but here are some train shots i took the other day. I'm still learning and looking for any advice and criticism. Thanks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have some very artistic technique here- great effort! I think the two most successful photos are the third and the fifth. The third is my favorite, as the composition and color tones are spot on. I'd just rotate it a bit perhaps.

In the other three, I think there's just too much out of focus. If you're going to go for a background blur, the foreground should be clear IMO, as otherwise your eye has nothing to wander to. With the right stuff in focus I also think the muted color tones look better than full color, which is a bit too busy given the diversity of the things in the image. Also, the first pic would look better if the highlights weren't blown all the way.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Nice shots. My favorite is the 1st shot: I love the BW-like feel.
04-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You have some very artistic technique here- great effort! I think the two most successful photos are the third and the fifth. The third is my favorite, as the composition and color tones are spot on. I'd just rotate it a bit perhaps.

In the other three, I think there's just too much out of focus. If you're going to go for a background blur, the foreground should be clear IMO, as otherwise your eye has nothing to wander to. With the right stuff in focus I also think the muted color tones look better than full color, which is a bit too busy given the diversity of the things in the image. Also, the first pic would look better if the highlights weren't blown all the way.
Thank you very much. I've been told I have too much out of focus before, so I'm definitely working on that. How would you rotate the third pic? Thanks again.

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 04:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Nice shots. My favorite is the 1st shot: I love the BW-like feel.
Thank you so much.

04-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The images are okay but unless you get a star effect with the sun in the image it's best to leave it out. As far as your focus goes, you're focusing to closely on a long subject. The rule of thumb is to focus about 1/3 of the way into the frame and then use f/11 or f/16 to get the maximum depth of field. The last image is best with the lines disappearing into the image, a classic composition. Just my two cents.
04-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liquid85 Quote
I haven't posted in a while but here are some train shots i took the other day. I'm still learning and looking for any advice and criticism. Thanks.
Last (5th) is my favorite and it is well done.