Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 04:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Happy eye
Lens: SMC DA 50mm f/1.8 Camera: K5 Photo Location: At home ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F2 

First, a question about etiquette... I've posted a few photos to this section in the last week so not sure whether I'm posting too much? I don't want to take up "bandwidth" inappropriately and push others' photos down the critique queue. I'm very much starting out, so looking for all the tips I can get, which is why I'm posting a fair bit here!

Thanks in advance and I won't be offended if it's suggested I post fewer pictures!

"Happy eye" - I know it's a bit of a cliched composition (and strictly speaking it's not black and white) but keen to have feedback on how it could be improved or whether the subject simply doesn't suit this style.

04-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Composition great but I might have cropped a slice of the blank space on the right-hand side. Also, you're working with a very narrow DOF at f2 and the eye is not as sharp as it could be. But I like the use of natural light and you probably could not have gotten the shot below 1/30s. However, the K5 can handle a higher iso easily so you could have had iso 800 and, say f4. Overall though it's a keeper - the soft colours, the bright, blue eye and a smile that overcomes slight flaws.
And don't worry about too many posts. That's what the forum is all about.
04-07-2014, 02:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Jac... I think next time if I were going for the same photo, I'd try to get more natural light in and user a faster shutter speed. I like the very narrow DOF but maybe need to close it down a touch. Yes, you're definitely right about the ISO and that's something I've accepted over the last couple of weeks - ISO 3200 with an in-focus shot and no motion blur is better than a noise-free but otherwise unusable shot at ISO 80!

I'm gradually improving my technique - both in terms of using my camera (it's now been a month since I switched to manual 90% of the time) and composition. The latter is what needs the most work IMO, as I'm not naturally "artistic". The former just comes with more and more practice so I have to be patient.
« Trains | castle »