Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
white or not
Lens: 50mm Camera: K-r Photo Location: Terrace BC ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F5 

white or not ? help please - this is my granddaughter so I as the photographer think it is wonderful because I love her..(I can't view it with objective eyes) .. can I please get some CC on it? Also any opinions on what colour looks better and why, would be wonderful ? I did have to take out her Mom's hand - so that is why I am a little heavy on the blur on the edges. Did I kill the photo by doing this? thanks (I have printed the whiter photo - but on this preview it looks greyish - the photo isn't greyish) weird ......

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by tweet25; 04-11-2014 at 07:16 AM. Reason: should be in people not abstract :(
04-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
To my (very!) non expert eye, I think the second one is much nicer - the first just looks like the wrong white balance.

For me though, I think the image seems to be lacking any depth - I'm not sure why it doesn't, but I'm going to assume it's lighting which seems very diffuse - perhaps too much so?

It's a lovely subject and idea though - but perhaps more educated photographers can come up with a way to get more depth rather than flatness? A tighter DOF could help although then you'd lose the definition in the dress (and perhaps the pearls) which would ruin the effect...
04-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try to brighten the center of the frame - the face of a girl and pearls, while leaving some vignetting. Also I'd bring up colors vibrancy a bit. Anyway, it's a lovely portrait
04-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cute, a nice pose and expression. Of the two, the first one is much too dark and blue. The second is better but still dark and the skin tones are greenish. The white of the fabric seems to be neutral but dark but her skin tone is off. I'd lighten it up some more and warm the skin tone if you want a color photo. Personally I think it would make a great monochrome as there isn't much color to begin with. Lots of options with monochrome, warm, cool, high key etc. just play around till you find something you like. I think it's a nice photo just needs tweaking.

04-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by tweet25 Quote
white or not ? help please - this is my granddaughter so I as the photographer think it is wonderful because I love her..(I can't view it with objective eyes) .. can I please get some CC on it? Also any opinions on what colour looks better and why, would be wonderful ? I did have to take out her Mom's hand - so that is why I am a little heavy on the blur on the edges. Did I kill the photo by doing this? thanks (I have printed the whiter photo - but on this preview it looks greyish - the photo isn't greyish) weird ......
Hi! My wife and I might vote for the ivory one ahead of the silver one, but we think they are inspired, and beautiful.
04-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Its a wonderful photo! The outfit, the pose/composition, focus. But as some pointed out, the white balance needs a little work. Its hard to give tips about this online, but try playing with it. Make it a little warmer, not as green.. The skin tone should be the priority, the fabric second.
04-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you I shot it in RAW, and had my flash pointed at the ceiling, she was sitting on the stairs and I was hanging over the ledge. I can't seem to get the "right" color. So I went with a black and white. this time. (I thought it was a nice way to use her mom's wedding dress twice)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
04-11-2014, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by tweet25 Quote
Thank you I shot it in RAW, and had my flash pointed at the ceiling, she was sitting on the stairs and I was hanging over the ledge. I can't seem to get the "right" color. So I went with a black and white. this time. (I thought it was a nice way to use her mom's wedding dress twice)
That'll do!
04-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
Forum Member

Wow - that B&W version makes all the difference! What other adjustments did you make? Is the contrast/clarity upped - the eyes definitely pop a lot more.

Looks great.
04-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjm1 Quote
Wow - that B&W version makes all the difference! What other adjustments did you make? Is the contrast/clarity upped - the eyes definitely pop a lot more.

Looks great.
thank you - I played with hightlights & shawdows... i think I may have converted it to black in white with Nik Collection. (that is my latest and greatest toy)
04-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
Closed Account

That B&W looks fantastic! Very nice
04-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Black and white is a great solution!
04-17-2014, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #13

I am fighting with this one as well. I am so very new to all this but here are my comments for what it is worth. Feel lucky, or not, because I hardly make comments. It is just this photo amazes me.

#1 Black and white by far the best. For some reason it just makes her beautiful face pop out. The eyes just seem to draw me in.
#2 This is where I am not sure I am right but it is something I would try. The color shots seem off. If you can somehow concentrate on the flesh tones, making them more vibrant (or something), it may equal the black and white as far as the face just drawing you in. The silky back drop may fall into place, although I seem to like the white.

#3 The composition here is awesome. Just a fantastic shot.
04-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you all very much - and thank you for the suggestion to go black and white ......