Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Portrait with f 1.2
Lens: FD 55 f 1.2 Camera: Canon AE-1 Photo Location: My home ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F1.2 

Please overlook that this is taken with my vintage Canon AE-1 and Canon FD 55mm f 1.2 lens. I want a Pentax f 1.2, but cannot afford it right at the moment. Don't pay too much attention to EXIF as it appears to represent the scanner instead of the camera. Film used is Fujifilm 200 speed film.

Please critique this portrait of my stepdaughter. I find the f 1.2 particularly difficult to focus exactly, and will most particularly appreciate any comments on focus. Please be candid in criticisms as my ego is plenty tough to withstand it!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
F135_PLUS  Photo 
04-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think in this case, if you want a very thin DoF, you have to focus on the first (closer) eye, as f1.2 will not allow much more than an inch in focus.
04-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
I think in this case, if you want a very thin DoF, you have to focus on the first (closer) eye, as f1.2 will not allow much more than an inch in focus.
Thanks for that advice. I will try it next time. I am enjoying this 55 f 1.2, and only wish I were doing it with my Pentax MZ-S instead of the old Canon. Trying to use Canon FD lenses on Pentax cameras is a frustrating and unrewarding task (except on the Q, where everything becomes super telephoto!).
04-16-2014, 12:18 AM   #4

beautiful! I love a good shallow DOF portrait. I think you did a good job with focus considering how wide open you were and that you're using manual focus I assume. They eyes seem reasonably sharp and the catch-lights are nice as well. I love the colours and you have a beautiful model there. Great light, love the shadows. I love the film grain here -- you've inspired me to pick up some film for my vintage pentax sometime soon.

I probably would have composed this with more negative space to the left, but that's a style thing with me -- this is off-centered just enough

04-16-2014, 04:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AshleytheIslander Quote
beautiful! I love a good shallow DOF portrait. I think you did a good job with focus considering how wide open you were and that you're using manual focus I assume. They eyes seem reasonably sharp and the catch-lights are nice as well. I love the colours and you have a beautiful model there. Great light, love the shadows. I love the film grain here -- you've inspired me to pick up some film for my vintage pentax sometime soon.

I probably would have composed this with more negative space to the left, but that's a style thing with me -- this is off-centered just enough
Thanks for your kind remarks and composition advice/observations. I know I have lots more work to do on portraiture.

Yes, entirely manual focus. I do not think auto focus had been developed at the time the Canon AE-1 and this lens were produced! However, from my experience manual focus may have advantages when working with approximately one inch DOF.