Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Portrait in black and white
Lens: Pentax 50 mm f 2.8 macro Camera: Pentax MZ-S Photo Location: Garden of my home ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 

EXIF information is valueless since this was a film portrait scanned digitally. Film used was Kodak Professional BW400CN, advertised as having "extremely fine grain and outstanding sharpness . . ." process is c-41.

I will appreciate comments on all aspects of this portrait, including exposure, framing, composition, etc. I want to improve my work, so please be completely candid in comments.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
F135_PLUS  Photo 
04-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You could convert this to a grey scale to get rid of the faint orange tint in image. As far as and environmental portrait goes, it feels more like a snap shot of a person doing a random thing (eg talking on the phone) and not very engaging at all. Now if he was know as a chronic phone user it would perhaps have more meaning.
04-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You could convert this to a grey scale to get rid of the faint orange tint in image. As far as and environmental portrait goes, it feels more like a snap shot of a person doing a random thing (eg talking on the phone) and not very engaging at all. Now if he was know as a chronic phone user it would perhaps have more meaning.
Thank you for the comment. I had not noticed the tint, but will see if I can post process as you suggest.

Well, yes, Bill uses the phone quite a lot, mainly because his wife calls him frequently! I suppose frequency of phone use would be unknown to viewers of this image, and thus that factor of composition would not be meaningful except within the model's circle of acquaintances.

I appreciate your taking the time to offer your impressions.
04-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
I'd agree with the first post. I thought it was a duotone because the pink in the background and the foreground looking a bit cool. Converting to grayscale or adding a saturation layer and sliding it to the left would fix that. The subject is placed dead center with a lot of wasted space on each side. A square crop might be a better choice here. The subject is also a bit dark and lightening the midtones might be in order.
Regards
Greg

04-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
Hi
I'd agree with the first post. I thought it was a duotone because the pink in the background and the foreground looking a bit cool. Converting to grayscale or adding a saturation layer and sliding it to the left would fix that. The subject is placed dead center with a lot of wasted space on each side. A square crop might be a better choice here. The subject is also a bit dark and lightening the midtones might be in order.
Regards
Greg
Thanks for your suggestions. I am partially colorblind, and do not see the pink that you see! I will work on the photo with these suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to review and comment.