Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Lagoon before sunrise
Lens: 18-55 WR Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Long beach,ca ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F16 

Hello, I am attempting to print this at a ~8x10 or 8x6 size, and I don't really have a good grasp on post production yet. Feel free to critique anything, however, if possible please critique with how to make it a stronger print. Especially the sharpening aspect, and the colors aspect. Thank you. Also if you are so inclined I would love to see what you would do with the RAW photo
Flickr Link
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69178920@N07/13899019624/sizes/l
Raw photo from my google drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7C--bm6-dgqMGtmNkZqcnFIcmM/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks again

04-16-2014, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bridge Too Far?

Hello spectamaniac,
Here's my view on your photo. Overall, it's a fine composition with good tonal range and strong theme. The colors match the intended mood well, and it all works for me with one exception. The sharpening and highlighting of the right-hand part of the bridge. It pulls my eye, too much visual weight. It doesn't match, for me.
And, believe it or not, even though your colors are fine I wouldn't mind seeing this in B + W. Not volunteering, however.
JMO,
Ron
04-16-2014, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #3

good colors but unbalanced shot

Hello
by the colors you give a well suited impression of this particular moment : not the night and not yet the day

but ,sorry, this is disturbed by the size of the bridge : too big in the shot
i think the shot should be better if you took it from half the bridge with a wider lens
friendly
04-16-2014, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello spectamaniac,
Here's my view on your photo. Overall, it's a fine composition with good tonal range and strong theme. The colors match the intended mood well, and it all works for me with one exception. The sharpening and highlighting of the right-hand part of the bridge. It pulls my eye, too much visual weight. It doesn't match, for me.
And, believe it or not, even though your colors are fine I wouldn't mind seeing this in B + W. Not volunteering, however.
JMO,
Ron
Thank you Ron! I am going to do a test print with several versions before I make a final print, I will make it a point to assess that sharpness in print form. I am a B&W enthusiast, and I am quite torn as to if I want this black and white or color. I really think the colors give it the lushness it deserves, but it looks fantastic black and white too! Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

---------- Post added 04-16-14 at 04:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jcserlet Quote
Hello
by the colors you give a well suited impression of this particular moment : not the night and not yet the day

but ,sorry, this is disturbed by the size of the bridge : too big in the shot
i think the shot should be better if you took it from half the bridge with a wider lens
friendly
No need to be sorry Thank you for the feedback. I took this many months earlier, and as of now I actually have accumulated a wider lens, and I have been toying with venturing back there and taking more shots. As there is many imperfections in this picture when I look at it. You may have inspired me to do this
Cheers