Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Croptions?
Lens: Pentax FA 50mm 1.4 Camera: K5IIS Photo Location: Swimming River Preserve, NJ ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/3000s Aperture: F2.8 

Was out on a hike with a 50mm lens when I saw an Egret. I liked the scene and after framing this shot and taking it the Egret flew away. I really like the shot, but didn't realize how much busyness I had in the frame until I got home. Looking for any advice but especially on, which of the croppings if any, people like or any other ideas on cropping the shot. Unfortunately had to resize the shots to attach them so they are small. Thanks in advance.

1 Original.

2 First Crop attempt

3 Second crop attempt

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
04-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think the egret is too small to make it the most important part of the photo. Maybe you can crop to make the photo more about the branch structure - my eye doesn't see a way of cropping it that way but maybe you'll spot something.
04-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I think the egret is too small to make it the most important part of the photo. Maybe you can crop to make the photo more about the branch structure - my eye doesn't see a way of cropping it that way but maybe you'll spot something.

Yeah John, I think your right. When I took the shot, the bird was going to be an integral part. When I started to crop it, I was trying to use the branches. Now it seems the branches aren't strong enough and the bird is in the way.

Thanks,
Reed
04-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What DeadJohn said. A 50mm isn't a great option for shooting distant wildlife.
I've shot quite a few spot-the-bird-in-this-picture photos myself!