Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which of these two do you prefer for image quality and why.
Lens: NA Camera: NA Photo Location: NA 

I'm curious. They were taken at different times but I tried to match them as well as possible. I'll reveal what's what at some point if anyone is interested (or someone hasn't already figured it out).

I'd appreciate any input so thanks in advance.

Attached Images

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-11-2014 at 06:45 PM.
04-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I guess it depends on what you've shot these images for. I prefer the composition of the second photo as you see more of the car and it's got a more natural perspective. The background is also less disturbing.

There seems to be more noise and less detail in the first photo too (was it a crop?). With that said, the first shot seems a bit more creative, and the shadow certainly adds to it. I think if the composition were adjusted slightly (i.e. more background, no tree right behind the car), it could have ended up being a better shot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-21-2014, 01:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I guess it depends on what you've shot these images for. I prefer the composition of the second photo as you see more of the car and it's got a more natural perspective. The background is also less disturbing.

There seems to be more noise and less detail in the first photo too (was it a crop?). With that said, the first shot seems a bit more creative, and the shadow certainly adds to it. I think if the composition were adjusted slightly (i.e. more background, no tree right behind the car), it could have ended up being a better shot.
Thanks. I should have stated that I'm looking for opinions about overall IQ so I'm glad you touched upon that. The compositions weren't really thought out. I changed the title accordingly.
04-21-2014, 02:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I'm curious. They were taken at different times but I tried to match them as well as possible. I'll reveal what's what at some point if anyone is interested (or someone hasn't already figured it out).

I'd appreciate any input so thanks in advance.
I also like number 2. . It's a more level shot with better presentation. You also made the road disappear. The background makes the subject "pop " a bit more. I wish the tree was't growing out of the top of the vehicle. Just one man's opinion . Please tell us more about what you did here. Interesting. Thanks

04-21-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer the lower image.
The first one is quite the wide angle shot, and the background is a little intrusive. The bottom one is a more "normal" looking shot, or even a little on the telephoto side, and the car is rendered with much less distortion.
Going out on a limb, are they taken with the 02 zoom on the Q, at each end of its range?
04-21-2014, 04:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Much smoother tones and transitions on the second one which is overall less harsh. Compare the background and tree: the first picture has them more crudely, as if oversharpened. Is the first image an OOC jpeg? The camera/lens has held the background quality of the second image far better, strictly imho, as also the grill and badge of the car. Of course, it may now turn out that the first shot was taken with a K3 and the second with an iPhone, lol.
04-21-2014, 05:16 AM   #7
Inactive Account

One is as bad as the other! The shadows are distracting as is the various superfluous vegetation. The lighting is uneven with e.g. one headlight brighter than the other. No good reason presents to ask that time be wasted on commenting. What gives?
04-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
One is as bad as the other! The shadows are distracting as is the various superfluous vegetation. The lighting is uneven with e.g. one headlight brighter than the other. No good reason presents to ask that time be wasted on commenting. What gives?
Plenty gives. The absolute merit of the images is not in question; it is a debate about relativities.
If you don't want to waste time on it, that's fine.

04-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Strictly on IQ, the first seems better.
04-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again, I'm just concerned with IQ; color rendition, tonal transition, apparent latitude, etc.

Thanks for the insight so far, I really do appreciate all of you taking out the time to comment. I'm comparing two cameras and their respective lenses.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 04-21-2014 at 01:29 PM.
04-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

since the angles you were shooting from are so different, making a comparison is practically impossible.

if you want to compare iq, it would have to be with camera original pictures, not shots that have been cropped and/or resized.
04-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Again, I'm just concerned with IQ; color rendition, tonal transition, apparent latitude, etc.
I'm comparing two cameras and their respective lenses.
In my opinion, what you are asking for requires a different aproach and a lot more information about how the shots were made.
Also, I hope it doesn´t offend, you but I wouldn´t think of judging IQ, color rendition, latitude from a picture with more evident problems such as background, lighting, perspective, balance.
04-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I haven't read the other responses but the second image definitely looks like a better overall exposure and treatment to me IQ wise. Both actually are similar for the most part except the first image has a slightly washed out look in the hood and windshield areas like we get when pushing an underexposed image or area of an image. The second image doesn't have that in those same areas and therefore to me looks to have better more pleasing overall color and contrast... There is also an over-saturated look to the greens on the car, especially in the front fender area of the first image, whereas the second image doesn't look over-saturated to me at all..
04-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster

---------- Post added 04-22-2014 at 10:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I haven't read the other responses but the second image definitely looks like a better overall exposure and treatment to me IQ wise. Both actually are similar for the most part except the first image has a slightly washed out look in the hood and windshield areas like we get when pushing an underexposed image or area of an image. The second image doesn't have that in those same areas and therefore to me looks to have better more pleasing overall color and contrast... There is also an over-saturated look to the greens on the car, especially in the front fender area of the first image, whereas the second image doesn't look over-saturated to me at all..
Thanks, Todd. That's the kind of info I can use to help me pick out things I might be missing.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 04-22-2014 at 10:27 PM.
04-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

No, not at all. Just offering a different point of view. I know its not what you asked for but could still find helpful. Hope it works out for you, really. Best of intention