Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Museum for Human Rights
Lens: Pentax 18-135 WR Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: WInniepg, CANADA ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F9.5 

Hello,

This is my first post to the photo critique. This is the new Canadian Museum for Human Rights in Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA. It will be open to the public in September 2014.

I took the picture yesterday. Let me know what you think.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think your composition would be improved if the building were to the right of the frame more. That would have also cut out the crane. Hard to tell but I would have tried a vertical comp too. Just my two cents.
04-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The red light post appears to be leaning to the right....
04-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The photo seems to be a little out of focus. It would also be interesting to see this museum in a photo taken from the east, when the sun is just coming up. I think the lighting reflecting on this unique building, would be magnificent at this early hour. I'm familiar with the CMOHR.

04-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I think your composition would be improved if the building were to the right of the frame more. That would have also cut out the crane. Hard to tell but I would have tried a vertical comp too. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll try a vertical comp when I get a chance. I also want to do a night shot of the museum later.

The pointy thing on the right is a bridge. I think I'll find a location where I can get both the museum and bridge in one shot.
04-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a good plan. Enjoy!
04-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by don88l Quote
a location where I can get both the museum and bridge in one shot
I would ignore the pedestrian bridge unless you have a fisheye lens and you want to include the Red River and part of St. Boniface in the frame. As long as the museum fills most of the frame, the bridge tower is just background clutter. I second the suggestion of trying to get light reflections either early or late in the day. There are some buildings to the west that might block the setting sun, so morning might be better. As long as the construction fencing is up, try backing up from the museum and use a longer focal length. Once the fencing is down and there is some green grass (July?) then you can move closer and widen out your shot. If you can get a higher elevation to take your picture, that would also help. I like the way the lines all point to the spire in the centre, that's where the distortion of a wide angle shot is an advantage. It accentuates the design of the building to start with a wide base and flow towards the pinnacle at the top.

04-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice to see a fellow Pegger on the forum!
04-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
Nice to see a fellow Pegger on the forum!

There's a few. I'm another.
04-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #10

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Me too!
04-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #11

Original Poster
Good to know on the forum there are a few from western Canada.

---------- Post added 04-22-14 at 07:44 PM ----------

I do have a Pentax fisheye. I'll try it out to see how the pictures turn out.