Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2008, 03:38 AM   #1

some stuff to critique

hi this is a shot from tasmania ...to contrasty?{im a shocker for that} my monitor is crappy so its hard to tell whats going on so i9ll throw it over to you{this shotmay {likley} end up monocrome}
second one is a b/w beach scape 16/45@16 f11....not shure where to go with this one so any thoughts?

Last edited by mfc; 04-24-2008 at 12:12 AM.
04-23-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
mfc

Original Poster
theres a prob

theres a prob with the color image {previous post}...its lost a lot in upload..it is posted in post youre pics thread in its original state...sorry
04-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #3
Banned

as a person who shoots in all black and white film and 95% black and white digital I think the first is quite beautiful. maybe just a bit too much contrast but it kind of makes it a bit surreal, overall a very beautiful photo.
04-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
mfc

Original Poster
yea a monitor is nothing like a print...i just put all my film gear in the cupboard a month or so ago.b&w simplifys everything so well. im gona b/w the first i thinkit brings out that tree in the mid foreground and the splashes of light on the slopes in the background
{i kinds feel a little dirty shoting dig most stuff 80+% is 6x6 or 6x7 b&w...shooting b&w on dig feels like desaturating tranny and printing it...it seems wrong lol..{.with the beach it just struck me that the kinda surele thing could be cause of the extra blue in the sky from the pol filter??}

04-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mfc Quote
{.with the beach it just struck me that the kinda surele thing could be cause of the extra blue in the sky from the pol filter??}

I had guessed a pol filter was used, and to good effect. I think it would have looked a bit more 'flat' otherwise and more depth and contrast in skies as well all know is good thing. Particularly in B&W.

QuoteQuote:
b&w...shooting b&w on dig feels like desaturating tranny and printing it...it seems wrong lol..
well It depend how much work you put into adjusting channels and such. I take the easy route most of the time to get my digital images to match with my film I use a plugin for photoshop: Exposure2 which allows me to pretty much instantly convert my digital photos to match my preferred film (ILFORD HP5 Plus 400) and then allows me to make any individual necessary adjustments. (and yes it still feels a bit like cheating.)
04-23-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
mfc

Original Poster
yea ive seen but not used some of the progs that convert and imitate film...imusing cs3 and just by using convert to b&w you have the opptunity to change every colour chanel lol{hard not to when its that easy} apart from that its contrast britnes and sharprning...i still cant burn and dodge anywhere near as easily/intuitavly as with an actual end product in my hands