Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Red
Lens: 70Ltd / Sigma 35Art Camera: K5IIs 

Hi!

Played with colors again. Nothing too fancy, even though I would really like to receive some critique and opinions as they are extremely helpful to me

Thanks,
Rokas.

P.S. Yes I really like to shoot at this place again and again. I really like the aura of that place, it is like a museum (even though, it was a cemetery once)

Last edited by Apapukas; 05-01-2014 at 09:52 AM.
05-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey, guys, if they suck, just say it, this silence is bothering me
05-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
he he , no worries - everybody is sitting in K3 photo contest thread so don't jump to any conclusions as of yet

For me your shots are very intense, very powerful - if that was your goal then you got it.

Some poses looks a little bit strained - but again who am I to give any advices on the matter

Very cinematic-like processing- you like it it seems . I also do - but some of these shots a bit over-contrasted , over sharpened to my taste - and also there is this longing for a bit of softness in the eyes of your model - perhaps poses and facial expressions aren't going particularly hand in hand with the processing ?? I do not know - just my few impressions at first glance

EDIT - forgot to mention I mostly like No. 2 and 4 and also 8 ! Thanks for sharing !
best of luck !

--manntax

Last edited by manntax; 05-06-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added my favoured numbers ;)
05-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But next time.

It might help if you hadn't posted so many photos at once. Try posting just one at a time. You'll get a better and faster response. Too many photos can deter some from criquing the many you've posted here.

05-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Take it easy, its a slow forum, especially the critique subforum
Its a great series, photos are nice and sharp and the colours are strong. The bokeh in some of the photos is great. I think photos 4 and 5 are probably the weakest of the bunch. What you could also do is maybe a photo taken with the model looking towards the lens? That would establish a bit of a connection between the viewer and the content
05-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
he he , no worries - everybody is sitting in K3 photo contest thread so don't jump to any conclusions as of yet

For me your shots are very intense, very powerful - if that was your goal then you got it.

Some poses looks a little bit strained - but again who am I to give any advices on the matter

Very cinematic-like processing- you like it it seems . I also do - but some of these shots a bit over-contrasted , over sharpened to my taste - and also there is this longing for a bit of softness in the eyes of your model - perhaps poses and facial expressions aren't going particularly hand in hand with the processing ?? I do not know - just my few impressions at first glance

EDIT - forgot to mention I mostly like No. 2 and 4 and also 8 ! Thanks for sharing !
best of luck !
--manntax
Thanks, I agree on the poses. It is just so difficult to put an emotion into the pose when the model is very nervous and shy. And without an emotion it is just a pose
Also, I agree that some are a little over the top, especially the last one. I'll fix that!
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
But next time.

It might help if you hadn't posted so many photos at once. Try posting just one at a time. You'll get a better and faster response. Too many photos can deter some from criquing the many you've posted here.
I'll give it a shot next time
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Take it easy, its a slow forum, especially the critique subforum
Its a great series, photos are nice and sharp and the colours are strong. The bokeh in some of the photos is great. I think photos 4 and 5 are probably the weakest of the bunch. What you could also do is maybe a photo taken with the model looking towards the lens? That would establish a bit of a connection between the viewer and the content
Yes, now when I look trough the photos I miss that connection a little. I would probably put 4,5 as the weakest too, I just like to post more photos to help me choose the best ones
Thanks!
05-05-2014, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

ok, here we go again

1: I think to colors are too bright, think it would be nicer with less satuartion
2: make it square (the red on the left side is very distracting), and it is an excelent shot
3: nah, doesn't work for me
4: bottom right is distracting, should also be red, then it would be good.
5: I do not like the background.
6: I like it, very mysterious. Why is she looking there, what is there?
7: her face/hair has almost the same color as the wall, and it this shot t looks like there is no line between her head and the wall. And i would like to see vignetting in this shot, so you are evenb more drawn into her.
8: no, doesn't work for me. I just can't put my finger on it why.
9: just a classic shot, nothing bad about it (but also nothing to set it apart)
10: how her legs are, looks like she is ready for a marathon.
11: this one has potential. I think either also add some vignetting to draw the eye more to her. Or also make it square. Then cut of the left side (all the withe), then it would be asif she is standing in the dark, looking in the light.

and on all th shots, as she is very classically dressed, I think less saturation would suit the pics better.

05-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
ok, here we go again

1: I think to colors are too bright, think it would be nicer with less satuartion
2: make it square (the red on the left side is very distracting), and it is an excelent shot
3: nah, doesn't work for me
4: bottom right is distracting, should also be red, then it would be good.
5: I do not like the background.
6: I like it, very mysterious. Why is she looking there, what is there?
7: her face/hair has almost the same color as the wall, and it this shot t looks like there is no line between her head and the wall. And i would like to see vignetting in this shot, so you are evenb more drawn into her.
8: no, doesn't work for me. I just can't put my finger on it why.
9: just a classic shot, nothing bad about it (but also nothing to set it apart)
10: how her legs are, looks like she is ready for a marathon.
11: this one has potential. I think either also add some vignetting to draw the eye more to her. Or also make it square. Then cut of the left side (all the withe), then it would be asif she is standing in the dark, looking in the light.

and on all th shots, as she is very classically dressed, I think less saturation would suit the pics better.
Thanks!
I'll do what I can and see what happens
05-05-2014, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #9

Lovely photos! It is really hard to work with red and people so as not to detract from the model. I agree with other posters that the sheer amount of photos is a bit overwhelming. For presentation, I'd narrow it down to something like a triptych. In my opinion, 4, 6 and 7 would work nicely together due to the variety (close up, scene, etc). I love the framing on number 6 (also, comparing it to number 1, which I also like, but you maybe don't need both). I enjoy the vibrancy of the photos, nice editing.
05-05-2014, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

Shots like 5, 7, and 10 have overpowering backgrounds. However, in shots 2, 4, 6, and 8, the backgrounds look good and enhance the portrait. The red color looks great against the light stone background. Shot 1 has two trees above her head that looks awkward, and in shot 9, that metal shape behind her is distracting.

Last edited by K-9; 05-06-2014 at 10:41 AM.
05-05-2014, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Shots like 5, 8, 7, and 10 have overpowering backgrounds. However, in shots 2, 4, 6, and 8, the backgrounds look good and enhance the portrait. The red color looks great against the light stone background. Shot 1 has two trees above her head that looks awkward, and in shot 9, that metal shape behind her is distracting.

Yeah exactly my impressions :
EDIT - forgot to mention I mostly like No. 2 and 4 and also 8 ! Thanks for sharing ! best of luck !
however I have to add the 6 to my liked photos - how did I miss that one in my previous post got no idea
--manntax
05-06-2014, 02:54 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LadyJane Quote
Lovely photos! It is really hard to work with red and people so as not to detract from the model. I agree with other posters that the sheer amount of photos is a bit overwhelming. For presentation, I'd narrow it down to something like a triptych. In my opinion, 4, 6 and 7 would work nicely together due to the variety (close up, scene, etc). I love the framing on number 6 (also, comparing it to number 1, which I also like, but you maybe don't need both). I enjoy the vibrancy of the photos, nice editing.
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Shots like 5, 8, 7, and 10 have overpowering backgrounds. However, in shots 2, 4, 6, and 8, the backgrounds look good and enhance the portrait. The red color looks great against the light stone background. Shot 1 has two trees above her head that looks awkward, and in shot 9, that metal shape behind her is distracting.
Yeah exactly my impressions :

however I have to add the 6 to my liked photos - how did I miss that one in my previous post got no idea
--manntax
Thanks, guys!

I'll try take a little less vibrant approach to my PP and see how that works
05-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Thanks, guys!

I'll try take a little less vibrant approach to my PP and see how that works

Don't do that, just take a less vibrant approach when the photo's will be better with that. And keep it vibrant if it will make the photo better (yes I know, not always easy to know when to do what. that's why sometimes I make to versions of a photot, a vibrant one and a less vibrant one. Then after a few days not lloking at them, I will look again, and choose which one suits better (and even then I do sometimes get it wrong))
05-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Okay, I decided to take a different approach to the PP and throw out/add some photos.

Personally, I find this version much more appealing. But.. I have only two eyes, so I might be wrong

What do you guys think?

Thanks

« Swimmer | 'Cracked' »