Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2014, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #1

Burial Hill, Mid November
Lens: Bower 8mm Camera: Kx Photo Location: Plymouth, MA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 

I'll forgo the back story for now, other than to say this is a mid-November sunrise shot. One of several I took at Burial Hill (Plymouth, MA) that morning.

Original, and cropped for 12x30 (my preferred).

My first for critique...scary

04-30-2014, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More Leaves?

Hello gryhnd,
First off, the things I like; You caught a beautiful slanted early-morning light, the starburst, the alignment of the headstones, the colors and overall feel of the photo. Good sky and use of the UWA lens.
What I don't like; The bald spot on the ground right in front of the camera- much better on the second photo, but on that version, the tops of the trees are chopped, making an awkward composition.
Also, for my taste, the second version is slightly less gold/orange, more muted (at least on my screen) and 'quieter', which fits the mood better. JMO. The first has a slightly HDR orange pop to the colors, a bit too warm for me.
Overall, a version with the chopped bottom but complete treetops, no bald spot and slightly muted colors would be best- But looking at the first version, that might be impossible in the same format.
Last, a suggestion. Once you saw the preview, why not move some 'found' leaves into the bald spot? I know it's practically heresy to change a found photo op, but I'd remove an offending bit of debris if I could and scattering a few more leaves there doesn't seem too harmful. No worse than removing it via PP.
So, you found a great scenic view and made good use of it. But a few little details could take it from 'good' to 'great'.
Again, JMO, hope it helps!
Ron
04-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks rbelfy,

Leaves: couldn't move 'em around. Time was tight and there were periodic gusts that created those patterns. I don't totally disagree with you though. I in fact cloned some leaves into a couple of other, smaller bare spots, but for me I liked blank spot up front as it showed the flow and eddies of the breezes. I respect your opinion though, thank you! I'll give it consideration.

Color: the only difference between the two photos is the crop (cropped is a virtual copy of the other) so the colors are the same. Perhaps missing the blue of the sky alters how we see it.

Trees: yup. Agreed. The one on the left bugs me the most. I suppose I could try cloning it down to a "top" for the cropped version.

Thanks again!