Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2014, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #1

Ocean Boarder
Lens: Pentax 50-200 Camera: k-5 Photo Location: Kitty Hawk, North Carolina ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F11 

I just joined a local photography club and I'm thinking of submitting this picture. I got up early to shot the sunrise but the day was rather gray. I ended up shooting birds running in the gentle waves along the beach when I looked up at saw the boarder. I instinctively raised my camera and got the shot. I quickly shot a dozen more but he started rowing and I couldn't get him silhouetted against the sun again.

I played around with cropping tight to the boarder, but think keeping the sun in the shot is more effective. Do you agree? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Attached Images

05-04-2014, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like it. The sun adds a balance between the top and bottom of the frame, and I think compliments the left to right symmetry you have. I think the large amounts of negative space give a great feeling of tranquility.

If you don't tell anyone that this is the sun, it makes a convincing moonlit shot which adds to the feeling of isolation/serenity/dedication of the boarder. The old "an underexposed sun looks like an overexposed moon" trick.

The paddle and board weren't clearly visible to me at first- I did think it was someone standing out on a jutting rock (which would also have been pretty interesting). Adding in a bit more reflection around the paddle to make it stand out more might be an option if you aren't opposed to mild fakery.
05-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
BrianR,

Thanks for the comment. I'm still relatively new to photography so I didn't know the old sun/moon trick. I've always known it was the sun, but I can see why it looks like the moon now. I'll try to add a bit more reflection around the paddle. Many thanks.
05-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by milo Quote
I just joined a local photography club and I'm thinking of submitting this picture. I got up early to shot the sunrise but the day was rather gray. I ended up shooting birds running in the gentle waves along the beach when I looked up at saw the boarder. I instinctively raised my camera and got the shot. I quickly shot a dozen more but he started rowing and I couldn't get him silhouetted against the sun again.

I played around with cropping tight to the boarder, but think keeping the sun in the shot is more effective. Do you agree? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Very nice framing

05-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There are a million reasons why this shot shouldn't work but I love everything about it~well done!

Last edited by CeciProAm; 05-05-2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo
05-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
Many thanks for the comments!
05-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't know why I keep forgetting to Nominated the photos I love~

Nominated

06-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Forum Member

Grate composition with the sun included. Did you used any color filter to get that tint?
06-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a classic and a classy image, it would grace any wall.

You have an artists eye and the simplicity of this image is its great strength. The negative space that is the figure and the monotone blue make it all at once restful and beautiful.

For me the only element that gives me any concern is the slight magenta cloud.

I feel bad faulting what is a magnificent image but you asked for critique.

If the magenta disappeared and the image were truly all blue I feel it would be strengthened.

I don't agree that sparkles need adding, the subject is wonderfully portrayed.
06-22-2014, 04:27 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blue on Blue

"If the magenta disappeared and the image were truly all blue I feel it would be strengthened.
I don't agree that sparkles need adding, the subject is wonderfully portrayed."

This Sparkle would certainly not add that the reference is to "Multifunctional Algorithm for General-purpose Encryption and Network Telecommunication Applications" . So the previous comment appears appropriate.