Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2014, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jellyfish chaos
Lens: smc DA* 16-50 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: NL 

Hi guys,

Here I tried something totally different than usual, something abstract as I saw this explosion of jellyfish gracefully drift under water in the changing colors of the seawater.
There is something that I like about this image, allthough it`s far from perfect. I don`t know, maybe it`s the colors, the painterly feeling or just the illusion of glowing forms beneath a blanket of blues and greens...

On the other hand, this could use some rethinking and improvement. I guess you love it or hate it. Please share your thoughts
Kind regards,
Jacco

K-5 with DA*16-50 and CPL
50mm, F9, ISO320, 1/100s

PS: 1600px version available on Flickr.

05-05-2014, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it needs a little more contrast and saturation to separate the jellyfish from the water. A simple curve layer with the standard S curve works really well. I also added a little sharpness with Unsharp Mask.

A fun image to explore once you can see the details.

Tim
05-05-2014, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, definitely atupdate's version has more pop. It needed a little more contrast.
05-05-2014, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I'd love to have a jellyfish screen saver. The way they float around is mesmerizing.

Tim

05-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

As an "abstract" photo, I prefer the original version. The alternate processing with more contrast and sharpening is better if it's going to be used as a "wildlife" photo. It's all a matter of opinion, of course. Watercolor, posterization, and other overdone effects that I usually dislike for photographs might actually yield pleasant results for this abstract scene. This could look great printed large on metallic paper or canvas.
05-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I think it needs a little more contrast and saturation to separate the jellyfish from the water. A simple curve layer with the standard S curve works really well. I also added a little sharpness with Unsharp Mask.

A fun image to explore once you can see the details.

Tim
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Yes, definitely atupdate's version has more pop. It needed a little more contrast.
Thanks, Tim. Interesting approach, I sort of liked the soft colors of the original but your version has indeed more oempf.

I'd love to have a jellyfish screen saver. The way they float around is mesmerizing.

Tim
Nice idea, maybe make a movie in an aquarium or something?

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
As an "abstract" photo, I prefer the original version. The alternate processing with more contrast and sharpening is better if it's going to be used as a "wildlife" photo. It's all a matter of opinion, of course. Watercolor, posterization, and other overdone effects that I usually dislike for photographs might actually yield pleasant results for this abstract scene. This could look great printed large on metallic paper or canvas.
Interesting thoughts, maybe I`ll expiriment with some extreme PP. Your suggestion of metallic paper is also a good one.

Composition wise, how do you guys feel about cutting off the large reflection at the right side?

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 05-05-2014 at 01:37 PM.
05-05-2014, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I definitely prefer the original version - love these subtle tones and delicate contrast of jellyfishes - an outstanding capture - for a moment I thought that you took it from under the water !!

Great !
--manntax
05-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
I definitely prefer the original version - love these subtle tones and delicate contrast of jellyfishes - an outstanding capture - for a moment I thought that you took it from under the water !!

Great !
--manntax
Thanks, Manntax
No, the da*16-50 is WR and has seen lots of mistreatment but submerging it goes a little too far
This was shot from a quayside, probably 6-8ft above waterlevel.

05-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Thanks, Manntax No, the da*16-50 is WR and has seen lots of mistreatment but submerging it goes a little too far This was shot from a quayside, probably 6-8ft above waterlevel.
yeah I quickly realised that I could see a bit of your reflection as well - still a stunning capture - as a matter of fact I got it on my desktop right now! hope you don't mind
--manntax
05-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
yeah I quickly realised that I could see a bit of your reflection as well - still a stunning capture - as a matter of fact I got it on my desktop right now! hope you don't mind
--manntax
What can I say? Thanks for the compliment, enjoy!
05-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I think its an absolutely wonderful photo. Animals, nature, abstract. Wonderful tones and the framing works too
05-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Interesting thoughts, maybe I`ll expiriment with some extreme PP. Your suggestion of metallic paper is also a good one.
Even just shifting the color hue (turn it blue, purple,or red) can change the look dramatically if you a leaning artistic.

Composition wise, how do you guys feel about cutting off the large reflection at the right side?
I wouldn't crop until you get your final PP done. You could even clone in some jellyfish over the bright areas. So many options with this one.

Tim

Tim
05-05-2014, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just spent 5 minutes of my life trying to decide which one I liked better.
I think the first one draws me in more but the second one makes me happier.
And jellyfish scare the bejesus out of me...too many stings!~

lol, I am clued to my desk while waiting on my Editor to finish a deadline, so
thank you for keeping me busy!~
05-06-2014, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think its an absolutely wonderful photo. Animals, nature, abstract. Wonderful tones and the framing works too
Thank you, Na Horuk

Even just shifting the color hue (turn it blue, purple,or red) can change the look dramatically if you a leaning artistic.

I wouldn't crop until you get your final PP done. You could even clone in some jellyfish over the bright areas. So many options with this one.

Tim

Tim
Good suggestions, I`ll try them all out. The thing is, this image is so way out of my normal style of shooting that I even have to reconsider my PP-techniques.

QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
I just spent 5 minutes of my life trying to decide which one I liked better.
I think the first one draws me in more but the second one makes me happier.
And jellyfish scare the bejesus out of me...too many stings!~

lol, I am clued to my desk while waiting on my Editor to finish a deadline, so
thank you for keeping me busy!~
05-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I might consider a little selective desaturation and/or shift in hue to make the bright blue a little more in line with the neighbouring blues (but not totally matching!). There's a lovely shift from green to blue across the image that's subtle except for the fringes of the white highlights. I don't mind the white highlights, probably because there are other bits of near-white throughout the image, but the fringes do seem to stand out.

There's also a nice shift from calm to chaos as you go from left to right and also a deeper overlay of textures that I wouldn't want to cut off with a crop.

Overall, it's great. It would definitely be a perfect desktop for a high tech device, or a nice calming image taking up a large space of a wall. Great abstract/wildlife combo!