Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #1

Help me choose my best shot
Camera: PENTAX K-5 

I am trying to pick 1 photo that is my best. I can't seem to choose.....
Can you help me pick one? or at least tell me which you like best and why?
Thank you!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #2

I think #2. #3 #4 to me would be the weakest. #3 because it's just a close picture of the fence with frost, the background is distracting, and pattern not that interesting. #4 I don't like the composition. The last one is interesting because of the content (looks like a national geographic kid in a tribe shot) but not as visually interesting as #2. Love #1 horizon is a bit off. Hopefully these don't come off as offensive just an opinion from an amateur.
05-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For sure #2. The first doesn't have a straight horizon and has visible sensor dust in the sky. Even with those elements fixed, it's still just a good shot - nothing all that special about it. #3 has that distracting background. #4 has flat lighting and is shot from an awkward angle. #5 should have been shot with the boy to the left so that he's looking into the shot. The bench adds nothing and is distracting.

#2 is special. There's a great tonal gamut from light to dark, and the entire frame is visually interesting.
05-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now Batting In The Two Spot...

Hello rainwolf, welcome to the Forum!
It's # 2 for me also, it's the most interesting and dynamic of these. The others are OK, but not special.
The frost/fence shot coulda' been a contender, with a couple of changes; One, better background, this one's too busy and distracting. Also, convert to slightly higher-contrast B + W. I do like the detail, mood and shape of the wire + frost, though. Good idea, better execution next time.
JMO,
Ron

05-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the replys!
So it looks like "Spawn" (The fish photo) is the most liked so far.... Thank you for all the comments and info!
I have a couple more to see if they compete with "Spawn" and will post them in a separate thread soon
05-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
# 4 for me shows the power of life. Your imprint should be on the other side as it distracts. It would also be more impressive if some of the top were cropped.

If the tree is a Fig Tree then it is a member of the oldest species in the world. Check out the "Fig Tree". It is leaves from a Fig Tree that Adam and Eve used to cover their "shame".

Last edited by Sparkle; 05-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.
05-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

One..............

05-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
# 4 for me shows the power of life. Your imprint should be on the other side as it distracts. It would also be more impressive if some of the top were cropped.

If the tree is a Fig Tree then it is a member of the oldest species in the world. Check out the "Fig Tree". It is leaves from a Fig Tree that Adam and Eve used to cover their "shame".
Thank you
I'm not sure what kind of tree it is but the place is a legend in South Korea.
During the Imjinwaeran War of 1592, the female martyr Nongae plunged to her death while clutching onto a Japanese General. Uiam Rock is an isolated rock found near the river bank below Jinjuseong castle and is the place where Nongae launched herself into the river. Since ancient times, legend has it that war was to ensue if the rock and the river bank touched.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
One..............
Thank you!
It was a tough shot to get the lighting just right. I wanted it to be dark with the bright sun sinking. I lucked out by the seagulls and was able to catch this one.

---------- Post added 05-10-14 at 09:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
# 4 for me shows the power of life. Your imprint should be on the other side as it distracts. It would also be more impressive if some of the top were cropped.".
I put the sign there only for online photos since this one would be easy to crop out if I put it anywhere else. I agree it is bad placement but after having a few of my online photos taken I'm pretty heavy handed with the watermark/sig.... and other embedments.
05-11-2014, 01:00 AM   #9
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I will say number 2 - one is a nice Picture, but the Horizon needs to be adjusted
05-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NKK Quote
I will say number 2 - one is a nice Picture, but the Horizon needs to be adjusted
Thank you!
Believe it or not the horizon is straight. The hills make it look strange I guess.
05-12-2014, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #11
Inactive Account

#2 is definitely the most interesting one (I find the subject pretty cool), even though my eyes gets completely lost in it. Nothing pops, there is no anchor, no leading lines.

Also, about the watermarks. Well, it is a completely different topic (and there some good threads here on PF about it), but in my opinion, you really can never be safe regarding your photos. Certain type of people will always find ways to steal no matter how hard you will try to protect your work. So, why even bother? Look at it from a different perspective, if someone steals your photos, that means they have value. Looks like even kind of a compliment, m?
05-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #12

Definitely like the 2nd one - it stands out the most because it isn't something I usually see!
05-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Scrolling them down and up, I say #2 is special.
05-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #14
Forum Member

I definitely prefer number 2 - it's got something a bit special that the others don't (not that they're bad images, just that #2 stands out!)

Have you considered processing it to black and white and pushing the contrast a little to separate the tonal range? I reckon that could look quite striking.
06-18-2014, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

First one by much. You might control lighting, a person posing, an inanimate object but be on the right moment of a bird passing through sun light is hard to get.