Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Grandfather & grandson
Lens: DA* 50-135 f/2.8 Camera: K5 Photo Location: England ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/3000s Aperture: F2.8 

I'm quite pleased (for a change!) with this shot for a couple of reasons:

1. I think I pretty much nailed focus at f/2.8 at 50mm (a small personal triumph for me!)
2. I like the composition with the grandfather framing the scene with his body - solid and supportive
3. The expressions are fun

What I'm not so sure about is not being able to see the grandfather's eye (and the grandson's eyes behind mostly closed) and the wisp of someone else's hair just poking in from the right. I also should have knocked the ISO and shutter speed down a couple of stops, but hey ho.

The other thing I can't tell is whether I've got the colours & saturation quite right - on my new sparkly IPS monitor it looks bang on (I had to desaturate quite heavily) but my laptop it looks pretty lifeless. Hopefully that says more about my laptop's colour gamut than the image!

Comments and suggestions for improvement most welcome...

05-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi again,

Good image looks fine to me.

I would be more concerned about the direction of shooting, It appears that you were stood and the camera is pointing slightly down.

Try varying your taking position next time. Crouching or kneeling so your the level as the smallest subject makes a subtle difference and we begin to see the portrait from the childs perspective.

I think it makes a more intimate image and some other issues of the background can be resolved by this simple change.
05-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Imageman and thanks again for the feedback. One thing I forgot on that image - good spot! I do normally crouch down (not every single time but mostly and when I think the shot calls for it) but forgot/didn't have time on this one.

You're right it would look subtly different - aargh still can't get everything quite coming together!

Thanks and also cheers for confirming the monitor/colours are more or less ok (I do need to calibrate with a "device" but that's the next job...)
05-08-2014, 05:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the composition and shooting perspective is just fine as it is. The man's glasses lead you directly to the child (shows were his focus is without seeing his eyes) and the child's face leads you to what he is enjoying. The stray hairs can be easily cloned out if you want. Very nice image.

Tim

05-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's fine leave it just as it is - a simple, technically competent, honest family snapshot.
05-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.