Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Cat profile - Improving beginner photography
Lens: 01 Standard Prime Camera: Pentax Q 

Hi everyone,

I'm new to photography and would like to improve my photography and post processing skills.

Attached a picture of the profile of our cat straight out of the camera. It was shot in jpg but I've since switched to raw. ISO 160, Shutter Speed 1/13s, Aperture f/1.9

Thanks for your feedback!
Corinne

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
05-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

CB way off
High lights burned
Motion blur
Too narrow DOF
Too much contrast
Over saturated
Too little DR (poor metering)
etc etc.

Not much can be done with it try again.
Sorry.

Last edited by wildman; 05-17-2014 at 05:21 AM.
05-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1/13th of a sec is mighty slow for a moving subject, such as a cat. You did a good job of getting some of the image sharp, but you really need a bit faster shutter speed and a little more depth of field. That may mean bumping up your ISO a couple of more notches. Also, the eyes are critical, not only in animal pics, but in people pics, too. They're how we connect to a photograph. You might think about changing your position next time so that you can see a bit more of the cat's "face".
05-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Getting down to the cat's level PoV as you have was the way to do it, Corinne!

05-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

Even more amazing is that the cat sat still that long with a camera pointed at it.
05-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Lots to learn. Apart from the things mentioned above I'm wondering about the settings on the camera. The EXIF data shows you were in program auto and it looks like it was a bright time of day so I'm wondering why the shutter and aperture were chosen by the camera. A slow shutter speed and wide open aperture. The background is blown out and the white balance is in auto also but the color is off. I don't know if the color of the fur is accurate or not but the greens are definitively off. I'd check that the camera is working properly. Are other photos turning out better?
05-28-2014, 09:59 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Corinne, so far, the other members have given good advice on improving your photos, now I will offer a few suggestions.

1.) Practice taking photos of inanimate objects at first, (plates, glasses, little statues) to get more acquainted with composition, and how fast your camera focuses.

2.) Get away from using the program mode; start using the aperture priority mode. Don't let the camera decide what setting it wants - YOU DECIDE! I would suggest starting with f5.6 for reasonable depth of field.

3.) Set up a "photo zone". By this, I mean a place somewhere in or near your home which has good daytime lighting. A brightly lit room or a spot in a garden are ideal. This way, you don't have to worry about lighting, and you can learn by using the formula that the photo zone gives you. Example: At 9am you might get f5.6 @ 1/125th of a second, at noon you may get f5.6 @ 1/500th of a second, and so on. This way, you don't have to worry about inadequate lighting, and can concentrate on composition and your cat's expression. This is not cheating, it's learning.

Later on, after you have exposure and focusing under your belt, you can concentrate on candid shots, which in my opinion, are always difficult, and largely dependent on luck.

And remember: You, and we, as photographers, usually have to take many photos just to get one good one. The other day, I was in Central Park with my friend, and his three year old daughter. He said, "Why don't you take some photos of her?"

I took about 30 photos just to get one good one. Children, animals, and some adults don't always cooperate when having their picture taken.

And most importantly, NEVER GIVE UP!

Many people starting out in photography get frustrated when they compare their photos to others who are more advanced than they.

Good luck, and stick with it! Let's see another photo soon.

Mike

05-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great sentiments and advice, Mike. Should be a sticky!
05-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you very much, clackers.

Mike
05-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Great sentiments and advice
+1, Mike is always rather good at being helpful around here, with sound advice and constructive comments, well done Mike.
05-29-2014, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I thank you very much for the compliment, Kerrowdown.

I've been at photography for 30 years, but I've learned a few things here, myself.

I believe in positive reinforcement, and the sharing of knowledge and experience. We all learn from each other.

Mike
06-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #12

i think Mike Bokeh is giving a good advice stopping down the aperture, with the little sensor on the Q personally i dont know if you need to stop down to 5.6, but this close to the subject with the lens wide open you'll have only so much in focus..

IMGP2060 por jacjustaconcept, no Flickr