Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stadium photography
Lens: FA 80-320 f4.5 Camera: K 30 Photo Location: San José ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4.5 

Few days ago I went to the stadium and shooted some people. Among these I found a nice girl to shoot. I put a red and yellow filter and shooted in BW. It seems for me that the skin of the girl is very soft as a result from the filters, but I would like to see what critics can you make me about this picture. I really love to shoot in BW and want to improve it. I did some post processing.

---------- Post added 05-14-14 at 01:06 PM ----------

Here's the picture:

05-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It might work as a closeup with the emphasis on the image in her sunglasses....
05-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
It might work as a closeup with the emphasis on the image in her sunglasses....
Got it, you are totally right ! That would have doné a great picture, thanks !
05-15-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the composition is fine, just it is way too gray. lacks tons of contrast

05-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I think the composition is fine, just it is way too gray. lacks tons of contrast
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I see what you are saying, thanks ...
05-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Did a quick re do on PP, I hope you do not mind (its fun to PP others photos) moved the exposure slider up, boosted the black point, increased contrast. As you said the skin tone is soft (good for portraits close up) but it is lacking definition from the lighting on the forehead and nose, with more tweaking you could probably get some more out of it. My amateur opinion and PP.
Attached Images

05-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Did a quick re do on PP, I hope you do not mind (its fun to PP others photos) moved the exposure slider up, boosted the black point, increased contrast. As you said the skin tone is soft (good for portraits close up) but it is lacking definition from the lighting on the forehead and nose, with more tweaking you could probably get some more out of it. My amateur opinion and PP.
Thanks gmans, I appreciate your help. As you mention, the nose and the forehead are already white burned and it is not possible to get the information, but if I would underexposed around 1/3 stop I should better do what you are saying. Thanks again !!

05-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello, thanks to every one for their advise. If you do not get bothered, I would like to have your critics about the following picture I shooted the same day. But I shooted originally in colors and convert it in BW with some PP. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jorgario; 03-28-2015 at 09:19 AM.
05-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

In this one I find the lighter points at the upper edge a bit distracting. Perhaps crop it just under the darker line there?

Apart from that I like it. His tilted head and eyes looking diagonally up makes the portrait more interesting, I think.
05-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jorgario Quote
Hello, thanks to every one for their advise. If you do not get bothered, I would like to have your critics about the following picture I shooted the same day. But I shooted originally in colors and convert it in BW with some PP. Thanks in advance.
What Savoche said, the highlight is the only flaw, there is still some detail there,you may able to burn it in a bit, it is a good shot, worth trying to hone your PP skills on.
05-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
In this one I find the lighter points at the upper edge a bit distracting. Perhaps crop it just under the darker line there? Apart from that I like it. His tilted head and eyes looking diagonally up makes the portrait more interesting, I think.
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
What Savoche said, the highlight is the only flaw, there is still some detail there,you may able to burn it in a bit, it is a good shot, worth trying to hone your PP skills on.
Thanks for your advice, I did what savoche and gmans suggested: I cropped and augmented 1/2 stop in PP and then make the constrast instead of going 1/2 down and then doing contrast:

Last edited by Jorgario; 05-23-2014 at 09:19 PM.