Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2014, 03:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Portrait
Lens: Sigma 18-50 Camera: *istDS Photo Location: Garage ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/45s 

So, I'm terrible at portraits, and I'm terrible at flash usage.

This shot involved both.

Lighting setup consisted of a Sigma EF530DGST mounted on camera, I think aimed directly at the subjects from memory. (tried pointing it to ceiling bounce, just caused the shot to be severely underexposed)

There was also a workshop halogen floodlight on the ground below the tripod.

I'm not happy with the results, so please do comment.

url=https://flic.kr/p/nCVViD][/url]

05-18-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
its in the shed, not the studio, like ok.
05-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thinking more tips/comments on composition and lighting setup.

ie: move the light off to one side? not bother with the flash?

The garage location is more that we (mainly my partner) had just finished building that engine, and wanted a shot as a keepsake.
And I didn't really feel like carrying an engine into the house.
05-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, was trying to be funny, when using a flash and you can not bounce,place tissue or lens wipe over the flash for softer effect (you can get diffusers purpose built as well), careful with tissue does not foul anything though. Hope that helps

05-18-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I actually like the idea and the black and white is interesting too; with a different male haircut this could have been shot in the 50s.
I'm not enamoured with the large area of reflection off the engine, I would certainly have moved the main light off the axis to avoid such a strong reflection. Given the black and white treatment you could have got away with blue (or any other colour) murder with the lighting and could have bought a couple of table lamps in from the house and modeled the shot without resorting to flash at all. Failing that suspend a sheet of white paper at high level behind the camera and fire the flash backwards into it.
I really like the basic idea behind the shot and if at possible it may be worth having another crack at it.
05-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rebuild?

Hello hks_kansei,
The idea for this shot is certainly interesting, but I forsee a bit of work to improve it.
That halogen light placement caused 'monster' lighting (flashlight under the chin, remember?) which isn't a look I'd go for, here. Plus it lit up the motor too much, so it needs to go...behind the happy couple, would be my suggestion. At least, try it there, move it around.
The hot-shoe flash should be bounced, regardless of the ISO, aperture or other difficulty entailed. At the very least, get a couple different 'Flash Softbox Diffusers' ($5.00 off the Bay) and tilt the head 45 degrees up with them.
You mentioned the bounce shots were dark, so try fixes in this order; More flash power, widen aperture, raise ISO.
The composition works, but I'd reduce DoF, it's really a sort of portrait with an added element in front. So, f/4.5-5.6 or maybe wider, just enough so the three main subjects are sharp. jmo. Also, take the clotheslines down- too distracting.
If you end up with even, soft, diffused top/front main light, a bit of eye-twinkle and a rim/backlight kicker, it might work!
Just some ideas for you,
Ron
05-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Without the story behind the photo the viewer is left to wonder what is going on. Why are these people kissing in garage behind a big engine? For you it has context and a meaning, the viewer is left to go "huh?". With to story behind it the garage is fine as a location. The lighting as mentioned is wrong. It's low "Frankenstein lighting" which has caused hot spots on the engine and heavy shadows on the bodies and ceiling. Getting the flash off the camera, diffusing it and getting it higher and a bit off to the side would help. That would require some expenditure of money, light stand, diffuser of some kind, (umbrellas are cheap or make your own softbox. You said when you bounced it, it was underexposed. There are only dark surfaces to bounce off of and a small flash wouldn't have the power. You need to raise the ambient light and use to flash as a supplement rather than the primary source of light. As for the pose it's good for you but for the uninformed it might be better with the two of you facing the camera. If it's a commemoration of finishing the engine perhaps a small printed card with the event and date and your names wouldn't be amiss. I offer that because my wife is into genealogy and comes across family photos of grandparents and relatives is left trying to piece together who the people are, when it was taken and what was the occasion. Sometimes successful sometimes not. I have a box of family photos from my extended family with no idea who they are and what relation they are to me in many cases. I went through them with my mom to give what information she could remember but even so some of them were guesses. It makes sense to the immediate family but as soon as a generation has gone by it's lost. So future generations might be grateful for some info. Of on a sidetrack here.