Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2014, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Birds for contest, help is appreciated
Lens: Da*300 Camera: pentax k-30 Photo Location: Lima-Perú ISO: 800 Aperture: F5.6 

Hi, i would like your opinion on this images, i am going to be part of a local contest, (about wildlife) i just bought the da*300 and i know it's more capable that this but time might be a problem (deadline is may 31,), next week i will try to find a Hawk or Eagle and then i will have to pick 3 images for the contest.

Thanks a lot for your opinion.

PD: i already added a little of light to the one with the black bird.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
05-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I really like the second shot! Nice composition , good subject in sharp focus and nice pleasant surroundings. This would be my pick I think - you could always try to improve it here or there ( depends on how much of PP the contest rules will allow ). Good luck !

manntax ' >'
05-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pick A Winner?

Hello Carlos, good luck with the contest!
My contest-watching experience has been that many contests are won by photos that meet 2 clear criteria; First, they are unusual, eye-catching in some way, they 'Pop', draw the eye in, show a scene/subject from a different viewpoint. Many times this is partly because it's a capture that not anyone with a kit zoom would get. It looks 'professional' or has higher I.Q. than the rest. Not always, certainly, but it happens a lot.
Second, no flaws, errors or mistakes. Clean, uncluttered, minimal distractions. Again, pro or very-well-presented photographs.
But remember, these can easily be trumped by a noisy P + S shot, if it's funny or goofy enough!
Based on that, # 1, my favorite, doesn't have a chance. I like motion blur, use it a lot, in fact. But how often does this technique win contests? Between the wingtip blur and the branch coming in from the right side, nope. Great shot, however.
# 2. Fine composition, clean tones and colors, but no pop. Good, but not great.
# 3 This should be your entry and I'll go further. Crop about 25% all the way around and convert to B + W. jmo.
# 4 My second choice to win after # 3. Whimsical, vibrant, great color contrast. Here again, a crop evenly, maybe 20% all around.
# 5. Good photo, but not enough contrast and saturation, also the bokeh 'blob' on the left distracts.
Once again, jmo, ymmv
Hope this helps!
Ron
05-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, that were my thoughts about number 2, nice photo but i am not sure if it will catch the eye of the judges, below there is another version (well actually another shot but you know what i mean), i am waiting for my L bracket to arrive (i broke the last one) to try to photograph some birds with flash (i have done it before but never with the da*300) to see how it goes, i will add them here, also i will see how the black and white goes (and ask if it is permited)

thanks a lot for all the advices and opinions.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
05-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Carlos, good luck with the contest!
My contest-watching experience has been that many contests are won by photos that meet 2 clear criteria; First, they are unusual, eye-catching in some way, they 'Pop', draw the eye in, show a scene/subject from a different viewpoint. Many times this is partly because it's a capture that not anyone with a kit zoom would get. It looks 'professional' or has higher I.Q. than the rest. Not always, certainly, but it happens a lot.
Second, no flaws, errors or mistakes. Clean, uncluttered, minimal distractions. Again, pro or very-well-presented photographs.
But remember, these can easily be trumped by a noisy P + S shot, if it's funny or goofy enough!
Based on that, # 1, my favorite, doesn't have a chance. I like motion blur, use it a lot, in fact. But how often does this technique win contests? Between the wingtip blur and the branch coming in from the right side, nope. Great shot, however.
# 2. Fine composition, clean tones and colors, but no pop. Good, but not great.
# 3 This should be your entry and I'll go further. Crop about 25% all the way around and convert to B + W. jmo.
# 4 My second choice to win after # 3. Whimsical, vibrant, great color contrast. Here again, a crop evenly, maybe 20% all around.
# 5. Good photo, but not enough contrast and saturation, also the bokeh 'blob' on the left distracts.
Once again, jmo, ymmv
Hope this helps!
Ron
Carlos,
I'm with Ron on number 3. I would be interested in seeing a b/w version, as Ron suggested, to see the effect on the background. Good Luck.
05-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

For me, it is about getting some form of action or behaviour. A well lit, static shot of a bird is just that. There are thousands of them out there For many birds, this is feeding, for others, defending territory,Mir in flight but in transition, for example an osprey hovering,

I like the black vulture shot, but it is into sharp, I don't know if that is due to the posting and resizing or what, but if the eye of the bird was sharp, it would be a good one, because you don't usually see vultures low down.

You might also look at the birding users group. There are lots of good shots in there
05-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
How about something like this (first image without the distracting grass on the left, i will go back to the same place next week so i can try again), the problem with black and white is: 1) i am not sure if they will accept bnw, 2) i am not good at it! hehe , this is what i got (second image):

Thanks again, last time the advices in this forum got me a second place (and the 300 bucks that helped me buying the da*300).

---------- Post added 05-18-14 at 05:32 PM ----------

On another subject i would like to know how to compress the images without loosing IQ (they ask for less than 500kb and a maximun of 1000 pixels on the widest side), when i do it on PS i loss a lot of IQ and here in the forum i just saw at the exifs and they are heavily compressed without too much IQ compromise, but how?

Thanks!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
05-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

A side shot or perhaps front shot would be better, you get too much distraction.with the water.

If I could get this one sharp, this is a shot I would submit. The wings are at the extreme down beat

Otherwise, and you can see here the side view concept I was talking about

As for post processing, start by cropping what you want, then look at tie image size in pixels. There are several resizing options to reduce pixels, Generally when compressing I use a non linear option in resize. It will take some experimentation. Once you get town to 1000 pixels the image would likely be small enough with no compression, just maximum quality JPEG

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-19-2014 at 04:37 AM.