Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lone Tree
Lens: 16-45mm Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Seychelles ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/3000s Aperture: F8 

I took this photo on a fairly cloud day and did not have a tripod. The image attempts to capture a dried up tree by the beach. Comments/ observations/ suggestions to make the picture better are welcome. Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
05-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lovely composition. A polarizing filter might have helped but overall a great shot!
05-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If the subject is the tree and the intent is to show it as a lonely isolated object, then I feel a different angle is needed.
the shrubbery to the left is an encroachment and there is too much "dead" space to the right with the clouds and rocks and water. the eye gets sucked into that void and away from the tree.
lastly, if the tree is the focus, it needs detail, being a silhouette further minimizes its importance in the image.

at the very least I would try some sort of vertical composition/crop to try and isolate the tree and clearly show that it is the intended subject
05-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the observations @ nomadkng

05-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi
The composition is OK. There isn't much color other than the sky which competes for attention since the eye will be drawn to color. I might try it as a B&W which I think might make the tree stand out more. The other thing is that in a seascape the horizon has to level here it slopes down to the left.
Cheers
05-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions @ Gregory_51
05-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
I like all of the individual elements, but like the others have said, there isn't a single one that locks me in. Removing that big bush would better isolate the tree, but would be pretty tough to do with the angle used for the shot. I think a vertical composition is about the only way to make the tree the focal point, but personally speaking, I love the detail in the clouds and water, and think that a B&W would be worth a go.

05-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
@ esrandall it was challenging to nail the photo as was standing on the edge of a sea wall next to a busy road. The tide was rising and due to the choppy ocean could not walk further to get a vantage position without risking the camera (not weather sealed)..Will try a black and white conversion.
05-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by juacali Quote
@ esrandall it was challenging to nail the photo as was standing on the edge of a sea wall next to a busy road. The tide was rising and due to the choppy ocean could not walk further to get a vantage position without risking the camera (not weather sealed)..Will try a black and white conversion.
Risking life and limb for the shot? I love it!