Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
cropping
Lens: 50 macro Camera: k5 

It seems that no one has feet in most of my photos, didn't really notice until it was to late. Any advice on salvaging a shot with poor composition?

05-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than putting a cheesy border on it, you can't uncrop the picture. This shot doesn't have much headroom either (and I'm talking about space around the heads of the two young ladies in the foreground) so additional cropping isn't going to help (and you certainly don't want to do a full amputation on them). My suggestion is to fade out or blur the angle iron or whatever is stuck in the ground on the left, and do the same to the advancing line of out of uniform soldiers behind the ladies in the front. In spite of the expense and effort spent selecting footwear, most women don't have attractive feet, so in the future if you want to include feet put the camera higher and put the feet just above the bottom of the frame. Make sure their feet are pointing forward, with one foot ahead of the other (which you did have in this shot). Personally, I don't miss the feet and having the camera positioned slightly below their hemlines emphasizes their legs, which is also fine by me, but it might make your subjects uneasy. The poses and expressions of the two ladies is good, it's just that the other elements take away from what could have been an excellent picture.

If you want to make them look taller, just keep their heads close to the top of the frame instead of pointing the camera up at them from down low. Since this shot was taken with a 50mm, you don't have much scene compression, so the people in the background can't be that far away. If you want them in the picture, it should be more obvious how they are related to the two ladies in the front (i.e. are they about to attack them?), otherwise those people are a puzzling distraction.
06-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Break a few rules

Last edited by Imageman; 07-18-2014 at 08:26 PM.
06-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Or try this

Last edited by Imageman; 07-18-2014 at 08:26 PM.