Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #1

Sailboats at dock
Camera: K30 Photo Location: Mimico Ontario 

thoughts on this one? Am a brand new Pentax owner and trying to move beyond my traditional "point and shoot" photography style and actually put some thought into it!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the idea you had with this, but IMO the shot doesn't really work because it's too busy and without a central focal point. The fact that the masts are cut off also leaves your eyes wandering. I do like the reflections in the water, though.

If you wanted to re-shoot this particular scene, I think going vertical would work much better. You could also step back and capture more of the marina, which might also result in a less prominent background (the trees).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

At f11 I would expect all the boats to be in focus not just the one in the middle, i. e. Creme Brulee.

Also the scene appears overexposed as the end of that boat is much whiter than the side.

At those settings the result seems to be an anomaly.
06-05-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
Also the scene appears overexposed as the end of that boat is much whiter than the side
It is not so bad, it is a compromise and I can live with this. To judge by the shadows the angle of the stern almost directly points to the sun (and therefore can't be the same brightness as the sides). It would be very hard to get it perfect without underexposing the rest of the image.

As to the composition I think not much can be done with this pic. It is true, portrait mode would probably be more suitable for yachts with tall masts as the portrait mode would enhance the tall masts even if not all of it, to the very top, can be captured.

With this image I can't decide what is more important, masts or water reflections in the foreground. So why not be cheeky or adventurous and cut away some of the masts and make the foreground more important. Not an ideal solution but worth a try. (See sample below.)

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-01-2014 at 04:24 PM.
06-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

That works better for me.
06-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with Adam that its too busy. There is not dominate pattern or focal point. Need to change the perspective and focus on one key element in the scene or back up and go really wide. The time day needs to be early morning or late in the evening to help with the light. Early morning will give you still water which will give a real mirror-like water which is more dramatic. You could also try an late evening shot when the dock lights and boat lights are on.