Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Still Learning
Lens: Pentax M 50mm 1.7 Camera: Pentax K5 ISO: 100 

I'm still learning and willing to be humble.

Comments and critique are appreciated.
I'm most concerned with composition and post production at this point.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
biggest issue is the white balance. massive magenta cast on the first, and it's way off on the second... are you doing your post processing on a laptop screen by any chance? because all but a handful actually have decent colour reproduction.

also you have a dust bunny on your sensor :P
06-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

yes, with the first photo the magenta cast is very distracting. That saying, the magenta cast on the second one is not that distracting. But the photo would be great if it would have a warm cats. the composition and all are very nice on this one.
06-04-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not an expert in wb adjusting, but here is the simple editing, so you can see yourself how wb changes the image. And it seems like you need sensor cleaning

Last edited by micromacro; 11-28-2014 at 05:49 PM.
06-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I agree with the WB. For some reason I didn't notice it at first.
I appreciate all the tips and advice.
I'll look into editing it again to correct the WB issue.

---------- Post added 06-04-14 at 10:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by imaspy Quote
biggest issue is the white balance. massive magenta cast on the first, and it's way off on the second... are you doing your post processing on a laptop screen by any chance? because all but a handful actually have decent colour reproduction.

also you have a dust bunny on your sensor :P
No I don't do any post processing work on a laptop.

Yes, I saw that dust after the photos were taken. Its something I'll try to PP out.
It must have been temporary, because I don't notice it with more recent photos I've taken.
06-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I agree with the WB. For some reason I didn't notice it at first.

I do have the same problem! Sometimes it's just hard to see the white balance issue while editing. It's like temporary block out. That's why I posted two images, so you can see it yourself and will know how you would like to adjust.

As for sensor, I don't know if your camera has an option of sensor cleaning. My K200D has dust removal option in menu. When I turn the camera on, it shakes the sensor. It totally helps with fresh dust.

06-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you are not using a laptop then I assume you are using a desktop and a flat screen monitor, in which case I suggest you look at calibrating your monitor to make sure you are getting a true image. If your monitor is off you can get what looks like a good photo to you but to everyone else it may look 'funky' with all sorts of colour cast issues.

There are expensive gadgets you can buy to set up a monitor but for many years I've had great success using the free calibration tools on the websites listed below. There was a time in my past when I needed to be absolutely sure I had a calibrated monitor as my livelihood depended on it but I still use the tools listed to verify mine and I check it every 3 to 6 months as monitors will start to drift with age.

Here are the sites I use, and I will use several to confirm what I am actually seeing.

Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool
LCD monitor test images
Monitor Calibration
Monitor calibration and gamma
Monitor calibration - calibrate your monitor - Icehouse Designs
Basic Monitor Calibration from PawPrint.net - assisting with graphics setup

Hope that helps.

06-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
If you are not using a laptop then I assume you are using a desktop and a flat screen monitor, in which case I suggest you look at calibrating your monitor to make sure you are getting a true image. If your monitor is off you can get what looks like a good photo to you but to everyone else it may look 'funky' with all sorts of colour cast issues.

There are expensive gadgets you can buy to set up a monitor but for many years I've had great success using the free calibration tools on the websites listed below. There was a time in my past when I needed to be absolutely sure I had a calibrated monitor as my livelihood depended on it but I still use the tools listed to verify mine and I check it every 3 to 6 months as monitors will start to drift with age.

Here are the sites I use, and I will use several to confirm what I am actually seeing.

Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool
LCD monitor test images
Monitor Calibration
Monitor calibration and gamma
Monitor calibration - calibrate your monitor - Icehouse Designs
Basic Monitor Calibration from PawPrint.net - assisting with graphics setup

Hope that helps.
That is extremely helpful.
I will look into these as soon as possible.
06-05-2014, 05:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

It is not easy to correct a 8bit JPG but this looks just about right to me on my calibrated screen.
Perhaps you can describe how my sample looks on your screen this would give us something to work on..

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-01-2014 at 04:24 PM.
06-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
looks just about right to me on my calibrated screen
Yep yours looking good here (also calibrated), it will be interesting to see what theraven871 has to say.
06-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That last image looks good on my screen too, calibrated using the tools in my original post.
06-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi
As mentioned above the WB is off. Of the two I like the pose and expression of the second one. The first is off balance, too far to the left and the smile is too big if you know what I mean. The second has a great wistful look. She's looking off to the distance and it has more impact. The flash is harsh and has cast hard shadows which is a shame. If you were to try it again something to soften the light would help. The legs are quite dark, and I find distracting and would just crop them out. I did a rough edit to show what I mean and posted it here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69407470@N06/14363066814/in/photostream/
Changed WB, lightened the shadows some to show how it might look with softer flash and show my choice of crop in this instance. You have put some thought into the photos and gotten a number of things right. Flash off camera, non distracting background and a good time of day. That's my 2 cents.
Cheers
Greg
06-07-2014, 02:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theraven871 Quote
I'm still learning and willing to be humble.
So what will happen to humble once learned? :-o

---------- Post added 06-07-14 at 05:04 AM ----------

Nicely done.

---------- Post added 06-07-14 at 05:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

It is not easy to correct a 8bit JPG but this looks just about right to me on my calibrated screen.
Perhaps you can describe how my sample looks on your screen this would give us something to work on..

Greetings
It is desaturated on my IPad. The cute little girl is bubbly, some extra colors wont hurt. Quick editted example.

Last edited by song_hm; 06-07-2014 at 02:31 AM.
06-07-2014, 02:42 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
some extra colors wont hurt
But your saturation has introduced a magenta cast to the dress and quite an unnatural eye colour.

Is your iPad calibrated? you can get App called ColorTRUE from X-Rite, which you may find helpful, but you do need an X-Rite measurement device for the calibration process.
06-07-2014, 03:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
But your saturation has introduced a magenta cast to the dress and quite an unnatural eye colour.

Is your iPad calibrated? you can get App called ColorTRUE from X-Rite, which you may find helpful, but you do need an X-Rite measurement device for the calibration process.
Like i said, "quick" - "edit" - "sample". The intent is to contrast with the previous desaturated edit. Not to show a perfectly finish product, thats for the OP to work on. I'm surprise you did not spot the jaggies

Ipad calibration? Who in their right mind would do serious photo edit on an Ipad?