Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2014, 05:38 AM   #1

Broken ladder
Lens: Nikkor 18-55mm vr Camera: Nikon d60 Photo Location: Athens, Greece ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F8 

Any thoughts on that?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D60  Photo 
06-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The in focus area is too far to the left of the rule of thirds point, I have trouble forcing my eye to go to where the in focus portion is.
A contrast bump could help, as could some definition
Most lines are leading out of the frame, giving an appearance that the photo is disorganized.

All in all interesting, but leaves the feeling, you could have done more with it. A bit of walking around looking for different angles maybe would have improved the image selection.
06-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The in focus area is too far to the left of the rule of thirds point, I have trouble forcing my eye to go to where the in focus portion is.
A contrast bump could help, as could some definition
Most lines are leading out of the frame, giving an appearance that the photo is disorganized.

All in all interesting, but leaves the feeling, you could have done more with it. A bit of walking around looking for different angles maybe would have improved the image selection.
Thank you, I appreciate your advice Could you explain what is a contrast bump? I assume it is done in the post-processing part, but i only know the basics and I have no idea how to add a contrast bump.
06-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Panos_P Quote
Thank you, I appreciate your advice Could you explain what is a contrast bump? I assume it is done in the post-processing part, but i only know the basics and I have no idea how to add a contrast bump.
Even the most basic photo editors will have a slider bar to turn your contrast up and down.
Some might feel that this image is the find the way it is. I've always been high contrast freak especially with black and white, so you might want a few more opinions,... I like to see some nice black blacks and some over the top whites some where in the image. Some might argue that part of the charm of this image is the low key thing... soft focus and soft contrast. But if your software allowed it, I'd at least highlight and push the contrast on the in focus area a bit.

06-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
So, I added some contrast in the focus area and a bit to the out of focus area and i think it added a bit of depth to the photo. What do you think?

P.S the picture is not black and white.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D60  Photo 
06-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, definitely getting a little snappier... to me it changes the whole image, it makes it easier for my eye to find the in focus area more naturally.. and, you have to admit, it was darn close to black and white, close enough I might have even tried it as a black and white. The reason I say that is there is almost no, colour contrast. The values are almost all tonal. I'd try a copy as a black and white, and then experiment with some sepia toning after that, just to see what can be done.
06-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ok, so i tried some sepia toning with the gradient map tool and this is what i think looks good. The wall pretty much stays the same, but the ladder changed to a nice warm sepia tone.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D60  Photo 
06-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Well good, looks like you had some fun....
06-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yes i did. Thank you for giving me your thoughts on this!
06-09-2014, 03:15 AM   #10
Inactive Account

You should be using a Pentax! Perhaps you are in the wrong Forum.
06-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
A little grumpy are we?
06-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
I originally subscribed to the forum because i am considering a switch from my nikon to the pentax k-5 ii and i liked the forums here. Does it really matter what camera am i using?
06-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

No, the forum rules for this section are clear, you're welcome to use whatever camera you want. Some of the competitions may require you to use Pentax gear, but what you did is fine. It's what Sparkle said that's un-acceptable. Personally, and for most of us, we don't care if your name is Deputy Dog and you're shooting with a pin hole camera, if you're interested in photography and want to participate, we're happy to see you here.
06-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you, I really like this forum and I hope sometime in the near future to be able to afford a k-5ii!
06-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I was trying to be helpful as I saw that Panos was new and thought that a Nikon forum would better serve.