Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To crop, or not?
Lens: M50 macro Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Dodge Park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s 

Although I like the look of this capture, I wonder if a crop could improve it?

Thoughts?

06-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #2

I like this picture very much. It's great. My thoughts on improving it are a little bit saturation so that the photo becomes more 'alive' and if you want to crop it, place a 'rule of tirds' grid over it and allign the flower. That's what i would do. Try it and see how it looks.
Overall, a very nice and simple photo.
06-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hmmm...a portrait style crop might be interesting especially if you include the leaf in the background that mimics the shape of the in-focus flower. I would include the out-of-focus flowers too.

A very tight crop of the in-focus flower might work too but you may have to clone out the flower behind it in that case.
06-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ideally, the progression of flowers would go from left to right, but you can't control serendipity. Maybe turn down the intensity of greens to make the blossom in the front stand out more and look more realistic, but I like the Impressionist look to the photo.

Attached Images

06-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments.....

I agree with almost all of them. I find it a bit over saturated, which tends to accentuate the green cast on the white flowers, making it appear too much in the way of a cool color cast.

I adjusted tint, contrast and such in an attempt to whiten the flowers.

On the subject of the crop, I decided to throw away concepts of ratio constrainment and think like I did when I first started using a DSLR.

I had no concept of a constrained crop, so I cropped instead, to what looked good to me.

I like the way this crop forms an arrow pointing off to the left.

The initial post was done in Lightroom, these final adjustments were done in ACDSee 7
06-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It works for me but I bet if you dropped a RoT grid over it the flower stamens in the main subject would be pretty close to an intersection.