Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #1

Distracting?
Lens: 18-55 vr Camera: Nikon d60 Photo Location: Athens, Greece ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F8 

I was trying to find something to put in the frame to make it more interesing, but i think it is distracting...what do you think?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D60  Photo 
06-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
If you're talking about the tree, yeah. My eyes are drawn to a bush...with an off-center skyline in the background. Don't know if you captured any additional images of this sky, but I think it would look nice with the clouds centered, no tree, crop the sky down (not sure of the correct terminology to use here), and experiment with cropping the hillside. If all of your shots have that tree, I'm not sure what I would do to make it better. The left-most branch really extends into the image, so would be tough to crop. I've taken my share of these, and after fiddling around in LR, I usually end up letting the image go, as I can never find a resolution that works. Curious to see what the more experienced folks have to offer for advice.
06-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

keeping the critique strictly to the bush, I think it offers no enhancement to the photo. its an unremarkable bush with thorns and a distracting branch that actually reaches into the sunlight. I applaud the attempt at "foreground" anchoring, but usually the anchor is a much "simpler" form that contrasts with the subject or somehow leads the eye toward the subject. be it a craggy rock to water, or a smooth stone to waves, a brilliant colored flower against a bleak background, or a complimentary shape to the subject.

in this case the scraggly bush adds to the chaos of an already busy photograph of a sprawling city like complex.
06-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I kinda like the 'idea' of the bush it gives perspective but that is indeed one ugly bush. I'd crop something like this.

Last edited by DeepThrob; 01-28-2015 at 08:56 PM.
06-12-2014, 01:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you both for your advice. I like the way you cropped it and i think i'll do the same
06-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the above about it being an ugly shrub that is distracting. Having an element like this helps give some perspective and depth to the image but in this case it's too obtrusive. I don't know if there were any other more photographic shrubs to use or not but maybe a different angle or vantage point might have worked better. The one piece of grass extends into the sun and is distracting too. I would assume the subject is the sunset over the city. The size and location of the foreground is competing for attention in this case. That's my 2 cents.
Cheers
Greg
06-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all, you have been of great help. I'll try to shoot with something less distracting next time and i'll probably post it here so you can give me some feedback once again!

07-31-2018, 05:42 AM   #8

Right idea, but the bush is too dominant. The horizon is about right at 2/3 of the way up the frame. An alternative would have been pointing the camera to get the horizon 1/3 of the way up which would give a very different feel to the composition and make it less busy overall.