Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My camera and I have different vision!
Camera: K20D 

I've got two shots here that I'd love to get some input on. I'm still trying to get the perfect poppy shot and I can't seem to get the right combination of color, depth and focus.

My other shot was taken in Santa Fe and here I had the shady side of the building, a portion of the building in the sun and then the dark porch. Also the piece of metal art seems to have just flattened my shot. Any techniques that might help me improve? Thanks so much. You can be brutal as I just can't seem to get the shots I want!

Last edited by joip; 01-13-2015 at 07:31 PM.
06-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

Concerning the first shot, if you want to tweak colors, make it more vibrant etc. (to have more control) you can try shooting raw and post processing the image.
About the second one, an aperture of, let's say, f/8, and a focus point on the piece of metal, as well as recomposing the frame so that the piece of metal was somewhere in the rule of thirds, i think would make the picture much nicer. (Or if you wanted to add depth, an aperture of maybe f/4 and a focus point on the metal)
06-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Panos_P Quote
Concerning the first shot, if you want to tweak colors, make it more vibrant etc. (to have more control) you can try shooting raw and post processing the image.
About the second one, an aperture of, let's say, f/8, and a focus point on the piece of metal, as well as recomposing the frame so that the piece of metal was somewhere in the rule of thirds, i think would make the picture much nicer. (Or if you wanted to add depth, an aperture of maybe f/4 and a focus point on the metal)
Thanks Panos. You know that feeling when you think you've taken a great shot and then - well you didn't!! For some reason I didn't even see the metal until I put the pics on my computer. I was too busy looking at the adobe! Maybe I'll try to remove the metal and see what happens I will have to try your advice on something closer to home! I'll play with the color on the poppies. Just got Lightroom but haven't installed it yet. Thanks again!
06-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #4

Don't worry about not getting the shots at first. Mistakes happen all the time. Photography has been my hobby for the past 5 years and i still sometimes have to try 10 times to get the shot i want, if i get it indeed. Just keep shooting and enjoy what you're doing!

06-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The colour of the object you are photographing will be affected by the reflection of the colour(s) of any surrounding objects. To get the best rendition of your subject's colour it must be isolated. You may be able to use umbrellas to shade out the surroundings and reflecting material to better focus the light. Even the green foliage of the Poppies themselves will be reflected onto the Poppies. Make sure your white balance is correct. Will probably be best to use flash (even as fill-in). Remember, everything is constantly changing so you never exactly get what you see ! Such is life !
06-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd star with, avoid direct sunlight and heavy shadows for both images...

The first image suffers from not having a subject... I'm not saying a picture has to have a clear centre of interest, it can be pulled of, but this one doesn't, my eye wanders wondering where it's supposed to be looking and ends up grasping then rejecting every element in clear focus. tha tie me a headache if it goes on too long.

The second is the opposite, there's nothing in clear focus, with the only possible centre of interest being the metal sculpture, which isn't sharp.Those buildings would make a great contrast for something sharp, since they appear to be made of amorphous goo.
06-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd star with, avoid direct sunlight and heavy shadows for both images...

The first image suffers from not having a subject... I'm not saying a picture has to have a clear centre of interest, it can be pulled of, but this one doesn't, my eye wanders wondering where it's supposed to be looking and ends up grasping then rejecting every element in clear focus. tha tie me a headache if it goes on too long.

The second is the opposite, there's nothing in clear focus, with the only possible centre of interest being the metal sculpture, which isn't sharp.Those buildings would make a great contrast for something sharp, since they appear to be made of amorphous goo.
Maybe you've hit the nail on the head Normhead. When I look through the view finder I see a photo, when I download to my computer I see nothing but stuff. The balance and composition I thought I saw is gone. I'm not sure what to do differently but I am not satisfied with 99% of my shots. It's really frustrating ad some days I give up. Other times I look at the camera and have another go! It's hard for me to find time to relax into my shots and that's one thing I think I am missing. Thanks for looking and I apologize for your headache That goo is adobe.

---------- Post added 06-29-14 at 08:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
The colour of the object you are photographing will be affected by the reflection of the colour(s) of any surrounding objects. To get the best rendition of your subject's colour it must be isolated. You may be able to use umbrellas to shade out the surroundings and reflecting material to better focus the light. Even the green foliage of the Poppies themselves will be reflected onto the Poppies. Make sure your white balance is correct. Will probably be best to use flash (even as fill-in). Remember, everything is constantly changing so you never exactly get what you see ! Such is life !
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check my white balance and try a flash. I never thought about the reflection of the surrounding colors especially with flowers as there is green everywhere and with my eye the balance looks good. Change is good and so is life. If I could only get the shot right!
06-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
More top of poppy, less side of poppy, perhaps.

And more adobe, less sky.