Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #1

Seascape
Lens: Samyang 85mm Camera: Pentax K30 Photo Location: Dinard, France ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F6.7 

Hi all,

First post in the forums after recently purchasing a K30 after getting fed of having to use an iPhone camera for everything. Total beginner to SLR/photography and this was one of my favorite pics I have taken so far. Image is straight from the camera so what I am really interested to know is what are peoples initial thoughts on how they would post process this image? I wouldn't know where to start! I've also attached a 2nd shot I liked, again any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks,

06-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hi Hjrm
This is my first post so I'm using your topic so that i can add to the review thread. Again like you I'm new to DSLR photography and still getting to grips with the jargon and the processes. Don't have access to any photo-shop or the like processes, so wouldn't know where to start either. Have used the threads on here for information on lenses and I'm sure you will get all the help you need from the forum members. Good luck!

TartanLens
06-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to you both, enjoy the forum.
06-27-2014, 02:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My advice is to find a basic book on photography for free, on line, or buy one at a used bookstore.
You will decide to scrap both photos once you learn to "SEE" rather than "LooK".
Good luck.

06-27-2014, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Welcome.

Just briefly;

First picture, all you need to improve it:
Remove blue colour cast
Slight increase in brightness
Light sharpening
Crop

and you are done.

Second picture, same. But I am not so keen on it composition wise, overwhelming foreground with
little subject matter. (Nothing much to look at, the yacht ? Not enough) Sloping horizon, never good with water shots (sea, ocean.)

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-01-2014 at 04:24 PM.
06-27-2014, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Its all about what looks natural rather than being obviously processed.

It depends on how your monitor is set up and how you intend the image to be viewed, is it to be distributed electronically or posted somewhere or printed. The rendering and colour balance of the output device will affect the way the image looks.

I prefer subtle muted tones rather than the pop and saturated tones that are in vogue now, and my monitor may be set up differently than yours so its ok to dislike my edit.

The subject is lit from the right and slightly behind so I would expect her hair to be subtly and gently lit rather than in shadow, and I would expect as this appears to be an hour or so either side of midday the light to be slightly blue so I have no problem with a slight blue cast rather than golden tones.

I have reduced the blue ever so slightly and lifted the brightness, as for cropping, you have done a splendid job in my opinion in camera and I like the space she is looking into.

I have no issues with sharpness, its impossible to see true sharpness at web resolutions anyway, If it looks sharp enough to your eyes its probably ok.

Its easy to get carried away with photo-editing, so make just a few minimal and slight adjustments to colour, brightness, contrast, and sharpness, until your familiar with the process, and keep the original unedited image safe.

---------- Post added 06-27-14 at 08:40 PM ----------

I should add that I regard both images to be composed well.

I have already remarked that I like the space in the first.

In the second you have followed a classic composition approach using frames.

The ships rail forms 4 natural frames in the image and the boat you have positioned strongly within the strongest frame.

Its a good image and I like both of them.

You follow rules of composition but then break them that a great gift and an approach I value, your following of composition and then neatly varying it avoids being bound by convention adding interest and dynamism to what would be a boring image treatment.

Last edited by Imageman; 08-03-2014 at 09:19 PM.
07-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all comments much appreciated, and illustration of the processing impact. Interesting the two different opinions on the composition of the second! On reflection I can see it's weak.